Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1971 Olds 442 - BaT

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2022, 11:53 AM

1971 Olds 442 - BaT

Bring a Trailer - Looks like a poorly put together car. A lot of missing parts.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...mobile-442-19/

Old June 28th, 2022, 12:17 PM
Banned

I have given up on cars on Bring A Story. Same for Barnfinds.
Old June 28th, 2022, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
I have given up on cars on Bring A Story. Same for Barnfinds.
Sadly, the site is not what it was originally. It has turned into a glamorized CraigsList and OfferUp. Lots of junk selling for high price. Where people with millions come to bid on overpriced cars. Sometimes some nice cars do come across but it's probably 80% garbage.

That 71 looks like a hack job. Tons of over spray, visible patch panels on the quarters, the interior lights don't work as the door jamb switches are missing per the seller. The engine might be its only redeeming factor IF it was put together correctly. The aftermarket W-25 hood looks poorly installed and fit & finish is bad. Maybe a $15k car at best but it will probably sell for like $40k. Fuel gauge doesn't work and new engine only has 500 miles on it. So that is a gamble.

I like how they claim the poorly installed fuel system and wiring is an "easy afternoon fix". Do these people ever work on their cars? It's a multi day or week long project to rip out all the fuel lines and wiring and start from scratch. Easily a couple of grand if you are paying someone to do it correctly.

Last edited by pettrix; June 28th, 2022 at 03:21 PM.
Old June 28th, 2022, 02:46 PM

4WD suspension. Dang, it's so high even those 275-60-15s look short.

Old June 28th, 2022, 03:15 PM
Administrator

It's a hotrod, built similar to the way we built cars back in the 70's/80's. You couldn't build one like it for under $25k. It ain't perfect but looks to be a good foundation to be expanded upon. I can see it selling in the upper $20's/low 30's.
Old June 28th, 2022, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
4WD suspension. Dang, it's so high even those 275-60-15s look short.

The 4WD off-road look is really bad on that car. A cars stance is so important.

The differential/rear axle is also not centered. Look at how tiny the gap is between the tire and the quarter towards the front of the vehicle vs how wide the gap is for the tire to the rear of the vehicle. Depending on how the other side looks, it could also be "dog tracking" if the rear axle is off center from the passenger side to the driver side.

Last edited by pettrix; June 28th, 2022 at 03:19 PM.
Old June 28th, 2022, 03:43 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Some guy or gal will love this car. Even though it is not for me, I appreciate it for the very fact that it survives.
Old June 28th, 2022, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by tnswt
Some guy or gal will love this car. Even though it is not for me, I appreciate it for the very fact that it survives.
Hopefully, but I know people that buy cars like this and they prove to be unreliable and the car just ends up sitting for years unless they can find someone else to dump it on. Unless one is mechanically inclined, has a decently large disposable income, cars like this can be unreliable and become money pits.

3,500 loose stall converter with 4.10 gears with a 3 speed equates to approx 3,600 RPM range while cruising the highway at 60-65. Turn on the the A/C system and one will find out quickly with overheating issues and oiling issues .An Olds 455 doesn't like spinning at those sustained RPMs and the engine must be built properly, with proper parts and clearances, to be able to live a long time under those conditions.

This car was quickly put together and attention to detail was completely ignored. That is clearly apparent by the pictures and statements of the seller. What about the things one can't see? All the electrical gremlins and issues that can make the car unreliable and unsafe. The drivetrain issues that can turn into thousands of dollars in repairs.

We live in the age of flippers and they have a bad reputation of being hacks, looking to flip to make a quick buck. They could care less about safety, integrity, quality and reliability.

Last edited by pettrix; June 28th, 2022 at 05:46 PM.
Old June 30th, 2022, 02:03 PM

Bid to $20,250 but reserve never met.

Appears there was frame damage to the car as noted in the pictures mentioned. Frame had mending plates welded to it (albeit really poorly done welds) and frame was wavy and bent in some spots.

Car was a real mess and put together really poorly. A car like that is worth maybe $15k at best in a reasonable market, IMHO.
Old June 30th, 2022, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by pettrix
The 4WD off-road look is really bad on that car. A cars stance is so important.

The differential/rear axle is also not centered. Look at how tiny the gap is between the tire and the quarter towards the front of the vehicle vs how wide the gap is for the tire to the rear of the vehicle. Depending on how the other side looks, it could also be "dog tracking" if the rear axle is off center from the passenger side to the driver side.
Look closely at both the RH and LH views showing the rear wheels. It looks like both sides are shifted forward, to my eye. The rear LCA's look funky, too, different from those on my '68.. Are they correct?
Old June 30th, 2022, 04:27 PM
Banned

I thought the same thing. Something doesn't look right.
Old June 30th, 2022, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
Look closely at both the RH and LH views showing the rear wheels. It looks like both sides are shifted forward, to my eye. The rear LCA's look funky, too, different from those on my '68.. Are they correct?
Something is definitely wrong but hard to really tell what without getting up close to the car and examining. I think it was hit hard on the side and the frame was damaged. Ideally, installing rear adjustable lower and upper control arms is the best way to get the axles centered and adjust pinion angle properly.

The car was originally a bench seat car and they converted to buckets. They drilled homes and ran cheapo bolts through the floorpan to attach the seat bolts. That is not how to do it correctly.

The cheerleading crowd from BaT didn't like people asking questions about the car and the visible frame damage and other issues. Speak no evil and question nothing, is their motto. Too bad BaT doesn't have a horror story section for those who got duped with buying problematic cars. Some think that every muscle car sold is all rainbows and butterflies. The car starts all the time and no issues. Yeah right

The seller should have been open and said, look, there was frame damage, repairs were made. Instead, nothing was said and when questions were raised, some people got angry for asking those questions.

The reverse manual valvebody TH-400 is a pain to drive. One has to shift into each gear. I highly doubt that vehicle is streetable and reliable. It's more setup as a 1/4 mile car. Trailer it to the track, turn it on, do a burnout, do a run, shut it down, trailer it home.

Last edited by pettrix; June 30th, 2022 at 06:02 PM.
Old June 30th, 2022, 06:13 PM

Also, one SHOULD NOT run a hot positive cable wire like that. It's exposed to road debris and elements and it is a recipe for an electrical fire or short. The positive cable should be run in a wire loom INSIDE of the car underneath the carpet area, where it is protected. Not underneath the car like that. HORRIBLE! Any factory cars with batteries in the trunk or back seat area, the positive cable is always run inside of the car, underneath the carpet, protected in wire loom.

Last edited by pettrix; July 1st, 2022 at 08:10 AM.
Old June 30th, 2022, 07:04 PM

The whole front end is out of whack, the hood and the center tooth is off but hood gaps look okay. Somethings twisted up. There is a title comment that doesn't sound good. Someone put a lot of money into it and they should have just taken the insurance money and ran. Someone will buy it if the price seems good to them, not me.

Steve
Old June 30th, 2022, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by tnswt
Exactly. Looks like a fun car, I'd lower it and put some 15" super stock III'S , DRIVE THE **** OUT OF IT.
Old June 30th, 2022, 08:16 PM
Banned

I am always constantly surprised at the amount of people that say cars like this are worth 20 grand plus. Not to me. No thank you.
Old June 30th, 2022, 08:19 PM

Supposedly the reserve was around $32-35k

Last edited by pettrix; June 30th, 2022 at 08:29 PM.
Old July 1st, 2022, 07:44 AM

Don’t walk, Run! Poorly put together car and too many corners cut. I can’t believe folks were willing to sweep the issues and workmanship under the rug.
Old July 1st, 2022, 07:48 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I suspect that is a car that was cobbled together from lots of parts from other cars. If that is his reserve he is going to have that car for a while unless he finds a greater fool.
Old July 1st, 2022, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by steedaq
Don’t walk, Run! Poorly put together car and too many corners cut. I can’t believe folks were willing to sweep the issues and workmanship under the rug.
Unfortunately, there were some people who got upset that the build quality & safety issues were brought up. They just wanted people to look the other way and supposedly just enjoy the car. Enjoy what? Overpaying for a POS car and breaking down on the side of the road? Or worse, having the car catch on fire while driving or parked in someones garage?

It's sellers like that and people like that, which ruin the hobby as they are trying to sell off POS cars for a lot of money. Then when someone who actually has a nice car, wants double or triple what that POS car sold for. This pushes cars into the $100k+ range and basically prices out anyone trying to get into the hobby who is not a millionaire.

Old July 1st, 2022, 08:19 AM
Rocket Renegade!

What is a Utah "corrected title"?
Old July 1st, 2022, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
What is a Utah "corrected title"?
Good question. Wonder if it is similar to a "salvaged title"? That would mean the car was totaled.
Old July 1st, 2022, 09:03 AM

Corrected title is not the same as a salvage title. Corrected title normally is to correct details that require changes, mostly administrative. Such as in the event of a divorce and one of the owners on the title need to be removed, or marriage and an addition has to be made, or if there was an error such as, an odometer reading of 1,000,000 miles on it when it was on the application as 10,000 miles, or someone checked the "new" box when they should have checked "used". Stuff like that. Most of the time at least one of the previous title owner(s) has to be the one to request the change, or perhaps court order. Some states simply just re-issue a clean title, while others use corrected titles to keep a paper trail of the changes. South Carolina will just re-issue the title if you change it because you have to basically re-apply. Not sure if they're supposed to, but I had to get some stuff corrected and that's what they did for me.
Old July 1st, 2022, 12:34 PM

The comment section claiming the objections on the vehicle were due to modifications. That's a red herring. It had nothing to do with the modifications. It had to do with HOW the modifications were done. Not up to quality & safety standards. The electrical system, the fuel system, the body, paint, interior, fit and finish, frame damage, etc. If they were done professionally & correctly, the car would have sold. The car was hacked together and it showed.

Old July 1st, 2022, 12:57 PM
Banned

Oh but it's worth twenty grand...🤔🤯
Old July 1st, 2022, 03:24 PM

Some of the online reviews for BaT:

"It seems odd and unnatural there are the same "cheerleaders" that show up at every auction to comment how wonderful this car is and what a bargain it is."

"DONT BUY A CAR FROM THESE CROOKS. Bring a trailer is ran by thieves. Bought a car and there was fraud on the sellers part. Bring a trailer did nothing to help. Terrible customer service. They only care about making their commission and that's all. Read about them online. Ex employees talk about how they favor sellers and let them sell trash and screw innocent buyers. DONT DO IT. Better auction sites than these a**holes."

"Terrible customer service. Believed to allow shady bidding strategy! Also depending on who the seller is they may or may not allow you to list a perfectly good desirable vehicle...RUN dont walk from these guys! I learned the hard way..."

"All I can say is "Bring A Train Wreck" More appropriate name..."

"Very cool and interesting cars are listed here, no doubt about it. But beware, the site gives the edge to sellers everytime. Can you say something bad about the car? Nope, you'll be banned quicker than you know what hit you. Can you say something about a negative experience with the seller? Nope, wrong again! Banned! What can you say? Cheerleader stuff. They love cheerleaders. Are you allowed to stray off topic in relation to a car? Sure, so long as it's rosy and positive. If you have a beef with a seller don't expect a fair outcome, folks. Say bye bye to your moolah."

and the list of complaints is 17 pages long...
Old July 2nd, 2022, 12:15 AM

Why would someone weld such a plate to the frame? Not the best welding job.

Old July 2nd, 2022, 09:30 AM
Banned

So sketchy. I have seen cars from Barrett Jackson come home and need everything just to be safe and roadworthy. Be careful people. Shiney turds are everywhere.
Old July 4th, 2022, 05:17 PM

The factory ran the 66/67 W-30 batteries in the trunk, and the cables were in the frame. These were all hardtop, non boxed frames, unless someone ordered the heavy duty frame option, which was the convertible frame, but, point being, inside the frame rail protects the cable well except in going in and going out.
Old July 4th, 2022, 06:26 PM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Originally Posted by Koda
The factory ran the 66/67 W-30 batteries in the trunk, and the cables were in the frame. ... but, point being, inside the frame rail protects the cable well except in going in and going out.

Yea, this cable is seen mostly going out
Old July 4th, 2022, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by pettrix

Why would someone weld such a plate to the frame? Not the best welding job.
Not sure if you meant to reference another photo but the photo above shows a factory brace put in to support the mid body mount area of the frame and also serves as a mounting point for the brake line. If you take a peak at the frame under your 70 you will see the same plate welded the same way.

The bigger problem is that for some reason on the other side someone decided to cut the same plate along the bottom where it meets the frame.