Care and Appearance Washing, waxing, paint care products, etc.

glass polishing

Old April 19th, 2014, 05:23 AM

glass polishing

My 64 98 came with a windshield that has scratches on it from the wipers. Most of them I can't catch my fingernail on them. Anyone have any success with removing them, and what product did you use. I was thinking of trying the Eastwood company's kit, but they have mixed reviews from what I read.

I was looking for some real hand experience on this.
Thanks
Adam
Old April 19th, 2014, 06:27 AM

My experience put your money towards a new windshield, doubt you wood be happy with polishing if its older glass. Most older glass is still available and not that expensive and you can get tinted if not already.
Old April 19th, 2014, 07:11 AM

X2 for new windshield. Eastwood kit is NG. Works...but not well + time consuming.
Old April 19th, 2014, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by 1Fastolds
Most of them I can't catch my fingernail on them.
Which means that, on some of them, you CAN feel with your fingernail. If that's the case, forget trying to polish them out. You'll be rubbing until doomsday and still not get them out. Even the polishing kits themselves say they won't work on scratches deep enough to feel.

I tried the Eastwood kit on wiper scratches on a '75 Delta 88 I owned back in the '90s, and these were scratches you could not feel. After much polishing effort with very little to show for it, I gave up and got a new windshield. Smartest move I made.

I agree with the others that you should try to get a new windshield if you can, and what's available might surprise you. I would start with the same outfits that you would go to to replace glass on a late-model car. Safelite comes to mind. You can go onto their website, put in the info about your car, and see what comes up.

There's no substitute for a new, clean windshield made with modern safety glass. No amount of polishing an old one will equal it.
Old April 19th, 2014, 08:23 AM

I'm just going to qualify what's been said. Home polishing, seldom worth the bother. A pro shop on the other hand, may be able to get much better results. Be aware tho, that there are many 'pros' that aren't any better that do it yourself.

But Jaunty's last line there does say it all.
Old April 20th, 2014, 04:28 AM

Thanks for the replies- I'm gonna look for a new windshield. I contacted a company that will be at the Spring Carlisle show to see if they could get me one, so I wouldn't have to pay shipping!

They are called "auto city classic", and although they don't list a 64/98 glass on their site, it is worth a shot to see if they can help.

Thanks
Adam