Care and Appearance Washing, waxing, paint care products, etc.

Can a convertible top be dyed?

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Trying to remember member

Can a convertible top be dyed?

Any experience dying a convertible top? I'm considering dying a white top black.
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:52 AM

I've never tried it but I would imagine what keeps the water out would keep out the dye. Kinda like trying to dye a rain coat.
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Registered

Vinyl isn't permeable so anything you do sits on top as said. It is "dye friendly" meaning it does adhere well to it. There is no real "vinyl dye", it's a surface coating. Varakote can be used on vinyl tops and seats and doesn't crack, maybe contact them and see what they think?

http://www.parasolinc.com/index.asp
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:55 AM

Thanks Bluevista, I'll check it out.

Guys, I'm aware of the physical properties of vinyl. Call it what you want, there are vinyl "dyes" on the market, and interior panels and dash pads are quite successfully "dyed".
I'm asking about dying a convertible top because of all the flexing that occurs with a convertible top that doesn't occur with interior panels.
I'm looking for someone with experience with it, as I wouldn't just trust a product's claim.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:18 AM

Had good results with the vinyl spray (paint?) sold at local parts stores for interiors. Used it on seats a couple of times for a color change and was very happy with the way it held up. Dont know how it or similar product would work on a top that the sun would beat on and water. If there is a specific one for conv tops I would think it would work as advertised.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:58 AM

Seems like a convetible top would take a beating from rain, sun, and other conditions that would really take its toll on a dye job.
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:10 AM

I suggest using SEM products. Go to their website and view the instructions on convertible top coloring. I have used their products
for other applications then this and are they are top shelf.
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nilsson
I suggest using SEM products. Go to their website and view the instructions on convertible top coloring. I have used their products
for other applications then this and are they are top shelf.
Thanks Nilsson. Well that was interesting. I called SEM and the tech guy there told me no, nothing there for convertible tops. He said the convertible top is more of a fabric, so I should look at fabric dyes instead of vinyl dyes.

I know about 20 years ago, Sherwin Williams Automotive had a dye that was for vinyl *and* carpet. I had my doubts, but I tried it on both, and it worked surprisingly well on both. But again, not so sure about it on a convertible top. And 20 years later, I'd think there would be better product.
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Registered Luser

Are you sure the top isn't canvas? That can be dyed!
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
Thanks Nilsson. Well that was interesting. I called SEM and the tech guy there told me no, nothing there for convertible tops. He said the convertible top is more of a fabric, so I should look at fabric dyes instead of vinyl dyes.

I know about 20 years ago, Sherwin Williams Automotive had a dye that was for vinyl *and* carpet. I had my doubts, but I tried it on both, and it worked surprisingly well on both. But again, not so sure about it on a convertible top. And 20 years later, I'd think there would be better product.
Is your convertable top vinyl, cloth or canvas? If vinyl SEM is a go if canvas or cloth I do see that they state not recommended.
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nilsson
Is your convertable top vinyl, cloth or canvas? If vinyl SEM is a go if canvas or cloth I do see that they state not recommended.
Well that's a good question. Are convertible tops made from all 3 material?
If you buy a top for a '60s Oldsmobile, what material do you get?
The guy at SEM was a firm "no" for convertible tops, and there is no reference to them on their webpage.
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:33 PM

One of the sites I was looking at had 2 types "pinpint vinyl" and "stayfast canvas." Mine is not vinyl so I guess it's some kind of treated canvas. I remember vinyl tops mostly on smaller foreign cars like my new 66 [dare I say it] Austin Healey 3000

http://www.convertibletopguys.com/cg...at.cgi?cat=685
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:50 PM

At this point, I might just experiment with some inconspicuous spots.
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:07 PM

Why not go to a trim shop and experiment on one they have replaced and is going in the dumpster. In my mind, I'm trying to visulize where you are going to find an " inconspicuos spot"

I just don't want it to look like "poop on a white rabbit"
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:58 AM

Figured I'd ask someone who should know, and I asked "The Auto Top Shop" about dyeing. Not surprisingly, the response was "Dying it would be more trouble than it's worth. If you want a new black top, let us know". Of course that doesn't mean it is true.
I just don't like the white top with the black and black interior.
I'll have to go to a black top eventually, when I return the car to the original Gold color, with black being the original top color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Redlines 021 to send.jpg (58.0 KB, 19 views)
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by wmachine
Figured I'd ask someone who should know, and I asked "The Auto Top Shop" about dyeing. Not surprisingly, the response was "Dying it would be more trouble than it's worth. If you want a new black top, let us know". Of course that doesn't mean it is true.
I just don't like the white top with the black and black interior.
I'll have to go to a black top eventually, when I return the car to the original Gold color, with black being the original top color.
You might want to investigate this stuff. Might be good, might be crap but at least it is something to look at.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Forever-Black-Black-Top-Vinyl-Convertible-Top-Dye_W0QQitemZ310087238384QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors _Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4832a3c2f0&_ trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3 A1318
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:42 AM

Thanks, I'll look into it.
Can't say I'm too optimistic about a product that is called "Forever Black" and then says the "results last for up to 12 months"
Old June 18th, 2010, 06:55 PM

a friend of mine recommended "forever black" product to me too..it works fine..i use it on my Wheel Hub Assembly..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; June 19th, 2010 at 03:07 AM.