Care and Appearance Washing, waxing, paint care products, etc.

weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2017, 09:52 PM

weatherstripping

I am looking for a complete weather stripping kit for my 62 cutlass. Its more $$$$ buying each piece individually....Also want to make sure I have every piece.
Old July 4th, 2017, 06:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff
I am looking for a complete weather stripping kit for my 62 cutlass. Its more $$$$ buying each piece individually....Also want to make sure I have every piece.
As I mentioned previously, this isn't a Camaro, or even a 70-72 Cutlass. Do not expect to find the level of aftermarket support found for more popular cars. Steele Rubber actually does sell MOST of the weatherstripping for the 61-63 cars. They do not sell a kit - you will be buying the parts individually. Be thankful that you can even get them.
Old July 4th, 2017, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
As I mentioned previously, this isn't a Camaro, or even a 70-72 Cutlass. Do not expect to find the level of aftermarket support found for more popular cars. Steele Rubber actually does sell MOST of the weatherstripping for the 61-63 cars. They do not sell a kit - you will be buying the parts individually. Be thankful that you can even get them.

No need to be an *******......I belong to a page for my Comet also and the people there do not come across the way you just did. If you do not have any input then just keep scrolling.
Old July 4th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

No need to be an *******......I belong to a page for my Comet also and the people there do not come across the way you just did. If you do not have any input then just keep scrolling.

You have a car that is not popular to restore and thus is not well supported by the repro vendors. Don't expect to find anything inexpensive. Sorry if you find that offensive.

Go back and read my post again, where I point out that Steele Rubber sells nearly all of the weatherstripping for these cars. You're welcome for that input.
Old July 4th, 2017, 04:57 PM

You have 11 posts. Joe has almost 26 K. I would want his comments on anything I post.
Steele has the best rubber products.
Old July 4th, 2017, 06:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by m371961
You have 11 posts. Joe has almost 26 K. I would want his comments on anything I post.
Steele has the best rubber products.
Of course, I'd be the first to point out that quantity doesn't necessarily equal quality, but thanks.
Old July 4th, 2017, 06:58 PM

When I first got here, I thought you were a little snarky, but I got over it.
Old July 5th, 2017, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by m371961
When I first got here, I thought you were a little snarky, but I got over it.

Nah... that is just the way that engineers are...... It is OK, Joe is a little rough around the edges, but I can understand why. After posting 26 thousand times, a lot of what is asked or replied to, he has already answered a few times before...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
560.jpg (165.3 KB, 11 views)
Old July 5th, 2017, 07:15 AM

The guy is a walking, talking, breathing encyclopedia of information. You think finding parts is tough, well reliable information is tougher!!

We must treasure "the Joe"!
Old July 7th, 2017, 09:41 PM

funny...kanter has a complete weather strip kit....just what I was looking for, oh and they have the disc brake conv. kit for 5 lug......
Old July 8th, 2017, 03:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

funny...kanter has a complete weather strip kit....just what I was looking for,
For only $1100. Knock yourself out. I bought all the pieces individually from Steele for quite a bit less.

The disc brake kit they sell is the Scarebird kit. Again, knock yourself out. You can buy it for less from Scarebird.
Old July 8th, 2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
For only $1100. Knock yourself out. I bought all the pieces individually from Steele for quite a bit less.

The disc brake kit they sell is the Scarebird kit. Again, knock yourself out. You can buy it for less from Scarebird.

only thing I saw at scarebird were brackets. and as far as the weather strip kit goes, steele does not have everything what I need as far as all the weather stripping. yes 1100 is a lot, however again my comet weatherstrip kit was under 600, so if one vendor is selling a complete kit then someone else may have it. the vendor I got my complete kit except the glass channel from only does fords and mercs. so for under $800 you got most of the weather stripping needed. I didn't see the hood to cowl, any of the glass channel, or the division bar for that matter.
Old July 9th, 2017, 03:18 AM

Go with what Joe says! As far as disc brake kit some one may chime in and you can build your own with off the shelf parts. Bought my brake kit from Kanter for 58 olds wanted to keep the 14 " wheels. Ok kit but no support when I had a few questions. Kit was not made by Sarebird.
Old July 9th, 2017, 04:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tommieb
Bought my brake kit from Kanter for 58 olds wanted to keep the 14 " wheels. Ok kit but no support when I had a few questions. Kit was not made by Sarebird.
That's interesting. A lot of what Kanter sells are just repackaged items from others. For example, their upholstery kits are from EZ Boy Interiors, with a mark up in price.
Old July 9th, 2017, 10:31 AM
Phantom Phixer

however again my comet weatherstrip kit was under 600, so if one vendor is selling a complete kit then someone else may have it. the vendor I got my complete kit except the glass channel from only does fords and mercs.
Welcome to planet Oldsmobile , spaceman .
Things may be a little different here , than on the FoMoCo planet you came from .
Old July 10th, 2017, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Welcome to planet Oldsmobile , spaceman .
Things may be a little different here , than on the FoMoCo planet you came from .

A 62 Comet is not as common as you think. The only other car is the Falcon. At least with a 62 Cutlass, there is the Buick Special, and the Pontiac Tempest.
Old July 10th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

A 62 Comet is not as common as you think. The only other car is the Falcon. At least with a 62 Cutlass, there is the Buick Special, and the Pontiac Tempest.
And there are probably 100 times as many 62 Comet/Falcons being restored as Y-body cars.
Old July 10th, 2017, 06:09 PM

[QUOTE=joe_padavano;1028942]And there are probably 100 times as many 62 Comet/Falcons being restored as Y-body cars.[/QUO

Uh no. I see more Y body cars at shows out here on the west coast than I do Comets. And maybe a dozen of falcons