Care and Appearance Washing, waxing, paint care products, etc.

Does car wax promote static dust cling?

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2017, 07:08 AM

Does car wax promote static dust cling?

In my location the weather has gone from rain wet to dust dry in about a week. My red cars are all showing dust and pine pollen to the point that they need a wipe down or wash every time they are exposed to the out side air for a hour or more. The question is does car paste wax or any wax for that matter cause a static dust issue something like a TV screen does and is there a fix that would help. I was thinking maybe a wipe down with a dryer sheet would help but I don't know what is in dryer sheets that might cause problems for the paint down the road.... Any ideas or knowledge .... Tedd
Old May 22nd, 2017, 07:44 AM
Administrator

A clean car always attracts dust, i use a California duster regularly.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
A clean car always attracts dust, i use a California duster regularly.
x2

I also use detailing spray extensively. I keep my Olds so clean that I generally only bucket wash it once or twice a year. On the other hand, I run my daily driver and my wife's Kia through the auto wash every chance I get.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 08:58 AM

Ditto on the California Duster. Had mine so long I can't remember when I got it.
Wayne
Old May 22nd, 2017, 09:34 AM

Old trick was to run a rubber grounding strap from a point on the body just touching the pavement. Clean car with static charge would be grounded not letting dust be attracted.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:08 AM

I also have used a California duster for years but I was just hoping for something easier. Unfortunately my cars get washed almost on every outing because I travel on a mile and a half of gravel (dirt) road just to get to pavement, so far the paint has held up very good.

My car show buddy has developed a nervous twitch trying to keep his emasculate black 48 Buick spotless, luckily I'm not as OCD as he is...... Tedd
Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Olds Scott
Old trick was to run a rubber grounding strap from a point on the body just touching the pavement. Clean car with static charge would be grounded not letting dust be attracted.
Not being a wise a$$ here, but how does a rubber strap, rubber being a non-conductor, ground anything. When I was younger I would see this all the time and always wondered how it could work.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 03:12 PM
Shoveling Snow

When I detail my cars I run a copper strap attached to the car to a bolt in the concrete to ground the car. It takes the static charge away. Simple but effective.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 03:32 PM
Cory

Originally Posted by 66luvr
Not being a wise a$$ here, but how does a rubber strap, rubber being a non-conductor, ground anything. When I was younger I would see this all the time and always wondered how it could work.
The rubber straps are to prevent static charge buildup. They are impregnated with carbon, graphite or other conductive material.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by dream66
The rubber straps are to prevent static charge buildup. They are impregnated with carbon, graphite or other conductive material.
I can remember the strap thing back in the day, I always thought it was there to eliminate the static shock on vinyl seat covers. I can see that it would work the same way for static in the metal body of the car. Might give that a try if it doesn't look too ugly hanging down there.... Tedd
Old May 22nd, 2017, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I can remember the strap thing back in the day, I always thought it was there to eliminate the static shock on vinyl seat covers. I can see that it would work the same way for static in the metal body of the car. Might give that a try if it doesn't look too ugly hanging down there.... Tedd
Im a bus mechanic for the New York City Transit. The bus is powered by CNG and under the bus has 3 ground straps. 1 under the front frame before the front axle and 2 under the rear frame after the rear axle. These straps prevents a static charge while its driving. When lightening strikes and hits the street, the bus is grounded.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by dream66
They are impregnated with carbon, graphite or other conductive material.
Graphite IS carbon.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
A clean car always attracts dust
All cars attract dust. It's only on the clean ones that it's noticeable.