Buyer & Seller Feedback This thread is the place to put Buyer or Seller feedback. Be sure to CHECK THE RULES before you post!

Selling to dishonest buyers

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2016, 08:12 AM

Selling to dishonest buyers

I sold someone the entire front grills, fillers, and trim off of the 69 Olds 98 He lives in Canada and shipping was kind of a pain with duty stuff and forms and all but, We did it. He talked me into insuring it for well over what it was sold for due to the exchange rate. I had a feeling at that time he was trying to pull something. he knew the plastic fillers that go behind the metal trim had some cracks.
When he got the package it had a small ding in one corner. He is now trying to file a claim for the cracks that he knew all along were there. He is asking for an inflated value for the parts and he got what he purchased in the condition it was purchased in.
What is even more frustrating is his emails always state he is a member of the armed forces of Canada as if that is to show some kind of integrity. I am a Veteran of the US Navy and it really bothers me that someone is trying to take advantage of our government in the way he is with a bogus claim. His response was well " I paid for the insurance".

I hate it when people lie to cheat like this. I take great pride in giving a full detailed accounting and pictures of the parts I sell. Often old car parts have flaws and are usable as is with some work or just as they are. This is the case with this sale. He knew the two pieces were cracked and yet usable as is and even a nice clean break that could be glued and used. Plus it is under the metal trim so never seen. As he was going to be great with when the deal was made.

The old saying one bad apple can spoil it.

I had a guy do this last year with a dash bezel that he knew was cracked. Then complained when he got it exactly like it was presented and sold. I had another one on a water pump pulley he said was bent that after he returned it was in perfect condition in fact I traded it for the one on my convertible and it is on there to this day. There are others but these come to mind quickly. It is very frustrating when a few do this to those of us trying so hard to help others fix up their cars.

Sorry just some frustration about dishonest people.
Old February 11th, 2016, 09:39 AM

I sold a pulley a while back and it came back as "bent"
Now I know and trust the guy so I just refunded
Admittedly I was in a hurry and did not ck the pulley before shipping. No sign of damage.

So, in the future, a pulley will be assessed with numbers. How much is "too bent"? No pulley runs PERFECTLY straight. So, I will get an exact number on the runout and get in writing that this figure is acceptable. Of course you have to make sure it's not the water pump shaft that's bent, too.
Old February 11th, 2016, 10:23 AM

There are folks who post here who are dishonest.

I have dealt with a few of them.
Old February 11th, 2016, 11:30 AM

Well you shipped them, you have to initiate the claim. Can't you either A, not do it, or B) If you start a claim explicitly state that there was pre-existing damage on the used part?
Old February 11th, 2016, 02:02 PM

Why even hash this out just say who they are and be done. The rest of us can make up our mind who was right or wrong.After all this is buyer/seller feed back forum. The guys i have bought from on here are stand up guys. I have tried to be the same with ones i have sold stuff to.No disrespect to anyone intended.
Old February 11th, 2016, 02:09 PM
344879M363895

In unrelated news, I just spilled 6 oz of breast milk all over the kitchen floor, out the door into the garage and down the steps, onto my new fuel tank. If that doesn't cheer you up, I'm not sure what will. I need a vacation.
Old February 11th, 2016, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by 70-442-w30
in unrelated news, i just spilled 6 oz of breast milk all over the kitchen floor, out the door into the garage and down the steps, onto my new fuel tank. If that doesn't cheer you up, i'm not sure what will. I need a vacation.
lol :d
Old February 11th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by My442
There are folks who post here who are dishonest.

I have dealt with a few of them.
If somebody here ripped you off, shouldn't you let everybody else know?
Old February 11th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
He talked me into insuring it for well over what it was sold for due to the exchange rate. I had a feeling at that time he was trying to pull something.
I will never knowingly falsify costs... You, for the most part, might have no idea who the individual you are dealing with actually is... Could be an agent searching out fraud cases... As for the exchange rate, that shouldn't even have been an issue, what an item is purchased for in USD, I would expect, is equally converted back to the buyer's country currency...
Old February 11th, 2016, 08:29 PM

His name is Terry Nicholls. From Canada.

I will never go for this game again. I informed the post office of his actions. He tried to file a claim but when shipping out of country is must go through the sender. So, he gets nothing.

Live and learn.
Old February 11th, 2016, 09:00 PM

Time to learn two words - 'as is'
Old February 11th, 2016, 10:25 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30
In unrelated news, I just spilled 6 oz of breast milk all over the kitchen floor, out the door into the garage and down the steps, onto my new fuel tank. If that doesn't cheer you up, I'm not sure what will. I need a vacation.
You should get a dog. Makes cleanups a breeze!
Old February 11th, 2016, 10:41 PM

IMHO, dishonest buyers from foreign countries are the worst.
Locally, you may resolve the case, or bite it and eat the little money loss at worst. And go on.
But when foreign buyers do that, they water the way for us others foreigners to get parts for our american cars, where usually only option is to source the parts from US.
We have so small amount of these old american cars, yet widely spread model-range, so there really aint not too much parts laying around, nor being intact.

Just my opinion, but already have faced situations where seller wont sell outside no matter the payment method, due to bad experiences before from selling to foreigners.

Last edited by Inline; February 11th, 2016 at 10:50 PM.
Old February 11th, 2016, 11:12 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Canadians are the worst.
Old February 12th, 2016, 04:39 AM
Maintained

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
Canadians are the worst.
We say the same thing about americans

Its a foreigner thing.
Old February 12th, 2016, 06:45 AM

Any claim honored by the shipper will be paid to the sender, not the reciever. The sender or the receiver may initiate the claim, but any claim will be paid to the sender who in-turn is suppose to settle with the receiver. NOTE: The consumer protection laws are so skewed in favor of the buyer that the seller often gets screwed because the credit card compainies and Paypal will do charge-backs on you and you have almost no defense and very little chance of getting your money back. I battled Paypal for over a year and luckily was able to recover what they had took from my account. There was never even any questioning as to "my side of the story" -- the just took the consumers claim and took my money. So be very careful to describe the contents and use the "as is - where is" phrase along with good pictures of the items before shipping -- especially valuable things that can get broken in shipment such as a 67 Cutlass Instrument panel. And another thing - the onus is on the shipper to package the goods sufficiently as to not get broken during "normal handling" by the carrier company. UPS has a very good reputation of denying a claim due to "improper packing" by the sender. And there is absolutely nothing you can do about it if the box isnt badly crushed or penetrated as though it was impaled!

Also, another tip to help protect yourself in such a situation- always prepare an invoice and packing list describing the contents and the itemized prices of each item within the package so that if there is a claim for partial damage there will not be any hassle on the value/cost of the contents when investigated by the carriers insurance company. I also lost a claim because the shipper was unable to"verify" his cost of the used item that he had sold to me. That is another peril of dealing in shipping used parts. They will demand you "prove" what you paid for the used part and will then try to only reimburse you for your "cost" rather than your "selling" price. And thats "BS" but these are the things you have to deal with when doing business in shipping stuff!!

Last edited by Chesrown 67 OAI; February 12th, 2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old February 12th, 2016, 07:21 AM

maybe have pics of the parts including any known defect.
Old February 12th, 2016, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
Any claim honored by the shipper will be paid to the sender, not the reciever. The sender or the receiver may initiate the claim, but any claim will be paid to the sender who in-turn is suppose to settle with the receiver. NOTE: The consumer protection laws are so skewed in favor of the buyer that the seller often gets screwed because the credit card compainies and Paypal will do charge-backs on you and you have almost no defense and very little chance of getting your money back. I battled Paypal for over a year and luckily was able to recover what they had took from my account. There was never even any questioning as to "my side of the story" -- the just took the consumers claim and took my money. So be very careful to describe the contents and use the "as is - where is" phrase along with good pictures of the items before shipping -- especially valuable things that can get broken in shipment such as a 67 Cutlass Instrument panel. And another thing - the onus is on the shipper to package the goods sufficiently as to not get broken during "normal handling" by the carrier company. UPS has a very good reputation of denying a claim due to "improper packing" by the sender. And there is absolutely nothing you can do about it if the box isnt badly crushed or penetrated as though it was impaled!
Agreed. Fedex is no cupcake either though, because I had some motorcycle parts shipped and they trashed the box. Actually punctured a 3 ply cardboard wall box, and they initially tried to deny the claim for "improper packaging". I called them out on it, and I spent many phone calls arguing with them. More than it would have taken to me make the claim value at work.

They were not helpful and I had a legit claim. IT looked like they drove the forktruck into the box to pick it up.
Old February 12th, 2016, 01:04 PM

Once a package hits customs and clears it goes from fedex USA to fedex Canada. This is a seperate company so if the damage is in the US side the shipper gets the money if the damage is on the Canadian side the receiver gets the cash, same with UPS or post office. I had a bumper go missing for my 63 98 from Freemans years ago and he was reimbursed and I ended up with a couple of parts that were of no use to me because he refused to send back my money.
Anyone who has purchased a set of trim or other parts from me understand why I build a crate out of plywood that is idiot proof to protect the parts, only had one problem where UPS ran over a crate and broke the crate slightly. Parts survived so no claim.
Steve
Old February 12th, 2016, 01:16 PM

ive shipped all over the world..and no longer..i dont care...it doesnt change who i am..its about the hassles it takes to deal with it. i tell everyone up front US address only...if you have a US address..i dont care where you are..ill ship it to that address...and most real car guys in Canada have a US mailing address they use

ive had 3 claimes in the world wide market..you guessed it..all Canadians...im sure its a fluke...but i am done...

any time ive made a claim anywhere...i get paid..then its up to me to refund etc.

i always leave the posting up, so theres no bull..and every time, they have asked for a link to the for sale ad....and it takes care of its self

i never inflate prices..it is what it is...i give enough pics its clear whats there...whats good and whats bad.

As i age, i make it easy on me...and thats the way it is.
Old February 12th, 2016, 06:40 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by scottv442
We say the same thing about americans

Its a foreigner thing.

Check my location ...
Old February 13th, 2016, 04:57 AM
Maintained

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
Check my location ...
Ha....I only saw Rancho Mirage Ca. Didn't notice BC first.

BC is kinda foriegn too.
Old February 13th, 2016, 10:14 AM

Ha....I only saw Rancho Mirage Ca. Didn't notice BC first.

BC is kinda foriegn too.
And Alberta isn't?
Old February 13th, 2016, 11:04 AM
Rocket Renegade!

BC is kinda foriegn too.

If by "foreign"you mean "tropical, when compared to the frozen wasteland that is the rest of Canada", you're right!
Old February 13th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Damn Canadians....I would not sell to them either...better get me an US address, then I will be a serious collector

Last edited by sammy; February 13th, 2016 at 02:15 PM.