Buyer & Seller Feedback This thread is the place to put Buyer or Seller feedback. Be sure to CHECK THE RULES before you post!

Positive for Pay-Pal

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2019, 02:49 PM

Positive for Pay-Pal

Whenever I sell items on Classic/Olds I usually request a "Friends and Family" Pay-Pal payment. It saves the seller the 3% fee, but offers the buyer zero protection. I've learned a valuable lesson. I recently purchased an item from a Classic/Olds member. Payment was by regular Pay-Pal, not "Friends and Family". I received the item and was terribly disappointed. Contacted the seller, asked to return the item, and offered to cover all the return shipping charges. Seller refused, and refused, and refused. I finally filed a complaint with Pay-Pal and within a few hours they agreed the album was misrepresented, and I deserved a refund. Sent it back today and should have my refund in a week. Lesson learned: use regular Pay-Pal when you purchase an item. Only use the "Friends and Family" option if you trust the seller 100%. In the future I will never ask a buyer to pay me by "Friends and Family". Thanks to everyone who offered support. Bill OBryan "BeenThere"
Old February 27th, 2019, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by BeenThere
Whenever I sell items on Classic/Olds I usually request a "Friends and Family" Pay-Pal payment. It saves the seller the 3% fee, but offers the buyer zero protection. I've learned a valuable lesson. I recently purchased an item from a Classic/Olds member. Payment was by regular Pay-Pal, not "Friends and Family". I received the item and was terribly disappointed. Contacted the seller, asked to return the item, and offered to cover all the return shipping charges. Seller refused, and refused, and refused. I finally filed a complaint with Pay-Pal and within a few hours they agreed the album was misrepresented, and I deserved a refund. Sent it back today and should have my refund in a week. Lesson learned: use regular Pay-Pal when you purchase an item. Only use the "Friends and Family" option if you trust the seller 100%. In the future I will never ask a buyer to pay me by "Friends and Family". Thanks to everyone who offered support. Bill OBryan "BeenThere"
will always pay you with friends and family . Because it is called trust . Glad it all worked out .
Old February 27th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Shoveling Snow

I always ask to be paid by family/friends but I'm hoping my reputation proceeds me and gives the purchaser a bit of peace of mind in the deal. I generally purchase from known/trusted sellers, I may lose out on some deals but I know who I'm purchasing from.
Old February 27th, 2019, 05:35 PM

Great news Bill I glad you were able to get it resolved. Maybe the seller will learn from this, you can do it the easy way or the hard way too bad he chose the hard way.

friends and family always works with you.

Old February 27th, 2019, 05:40 PM

Thats great news! good guy wins for once.
Old February 27th, 2019, 05:49 PM
72 Olds CS

i will usually just ask for paypal, but many times CO folks will send by FnF w out asking which is OK w me
Old February 27th, 2019, 05:54 PM

Glad this worked out for you Bill; too bad you had to go through the anxiety, and the whole dog and pony show for restitution. And thanks for accepting old fashioned personal checks.
Old February 27th, 2019, 06:15 PM

I will only use friends and family to people I trust or know well. There are also times that I will not take a payment from someone other than friends and family.

Just NEVER take a regular pay pal payment for a deposit or a local pickup item. They WILL get their money back even if they picked up the item. All they have to do is file a claim it was never shipped and then you have no tracking number. I know this one first hand and Pay Pal even admitted to me that this is a problem and they will not change the policy.
Old February 27th, 2019, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I will only use friends and family to people I trust or know well. There are also times that I will not take a payment from someone other than friends and family.

Just NEVER take a regular pay pal payment for a deposit or a local pickup item. They WILL get their money back even if they picked up the item. All they have to do is file a claim it was never shipped and then you have no tracking number. I know this one first hand and Pay Pal even admitted to me that this is a problem and they will not change the policy.
It's a shame we live in a society where your radar always needs to be on alert for a scam.
Old February 27th, 2019, 08:36 PM
Hookers under Hood

Put-r--ther Bill !
You should not have had to time out of your day over this! Hopefully, it will be the last time we hear of this type of sale from a member here on our forum again.
This shouldn't be necessary but...The mods need to make a sticky in the classifieds stating "This is not a buyer beware site " All parts, literature etc must be noted as to the condition along with any flaws.
Also, if a seller does not disclose the true condition of the sale item, and still goes through with the sale, the member could be led down to the exit sign and banned from our forum.
Jus sayin'
Happy to hear you will be getting refunded since it was a significant amount of $$$ paid for that item.

Eric
Old February 28th, 2019, 09:32 AM

I always use regular PayPal, especially when buying from someone I've never bought anything from before. If the seller asks for friends and family I typically pay the PayPal fees. I don't mind the minimal extra cost for that peace of mind. I've had a few issues with folks misrepresenting, you two guys know who you are, but on the whole I've been satisfied. I still got the parts on these two issues. One was way late getting to me and the other had repo parts included in the assembly instead of OEM as advertised, but I chose to keep everything and not deal with these individuals again. It's a shame that some people feel they have to take advantage of us buyers over a couple dollars.