64 J88 brake booster issue

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2015, 06:35 AM

64 J88 brake booster issue

So the larger issue is the brake pedal is solid but it has barely enough braking power to stop the car .

I have adjusted all 4 brakes and all brake assm seem to be moving freely .

I did the booster test of pump the brakes with engine off to purge teh booster of vacuum , hold down teh pedal the start the car , the pedal dropped slightly as expected

my next thought was the check valve - I pulled it off and did the blow test - blow from the booster side to see if stops the air from going in the direction of teh engine -- it did not and was abl eto easily blow air through back in the direction of teh engine this ,if I am remembering correctly , means my likely suspect is a bad check valve .

the check valve is a type a have never seen before it has "nubs" on it to act like a cam lock onto the booster . all the chaeck valves I have come across were just push in types .

I cant seem to find this cam lock style of valve anywhere . is it NLA and I just nee dto replace the entire booster ?

thanks for any help you can give
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
chk valve.jpg (56.6 KB, 13 views)
Old August 2nd, 2015, 09:16 PM

Can't offer up much help but was wondering if you've made any progress with your brakes. I will be troubleshooting the brakes on my 63 Dynamic. I can get it stopped but not much pedal travel and most braking occurs in the last 25% of that. All four corners are functioning properly. Also cleaned adjusters and bled. I don't like the single pot MC so it is not long for this world and I will toss the booster while it is broken down. Just curious.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 09:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jetstar88mike
my next thought was the check valve - I pulled it off and did the blow test - blow from the booster side to see if stops the air from going in the direction of teh engine -- it did not and was abl eto easily blow air through back in the direction of teh engine this ,if I am remembering correctly , means my likely suspect is a bad check valve .
Sorry, but you have that backwards. BLOWING into the booster side of the valve is exactly the same as the engine SUCKING on the engine side of the valve - which is how it's supposed to work. You need to blow into the ENGINE side of the valve and verify no flow towards the booster.