Power Brake Booster-Which to buy?

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2008, 12:17 PM

Power Brake Booster-Which to buy?

I am ready to replace my power brake booster in my 1971 Cutlass S. A few questions:

1. I currently have front drum brakes but will convert to disc in the future. Is the power booster the same for each style or will I need a different on when I convert to disc?

2. I've seen NUMEROUS power brake boosters advertised. Cadium gold with Delco/Moraine stamp. Prices range from $108 (ebay) to $249. They all look the same in the pictures. Are they different?

3. NAPA shows a power brake booster for about $100, but is grey in color. What was orginal to the car?

Recommendations on which style and place to purchase would be much appreciated.

Larry
Old November 7th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by iuhoops83
I am ready to replace my power brake booster in my 1971 Cutlass S. A few questions:

1. I currently have front drum brakes but will convert to disc in the future. Is the power booster the same for each style or will I need a different on when I convert to disc?

2. I've seen NUMEROUS power brake boosters advertised. Cadium gold with Delco/Moraine stamp. Prices range from $108 (ebay) to $249. They all look the same in the pictures. Are they different?

3. NAPA shows a power brake booster for about $100, but is grey in color. What was orginal to the car?

Recommendations on which style and place to purchase would be much appreciated.

Larry
The drum and disk cars list different boosters but frankly I've not seen a difference. I've done a number of drum to disk conversions on Olds A-body cars and always just bolted the new master cylinder to the drum brake booster. Never had a problem.

The original booster was cad plated and had a Delco Moraine stamping on it. The NAPA booster will be a functional equivalent but will not be the factory correct version if you plan to show the car. The gray is bare steel (or maybe galvinized).