Disc brake conversion for 40-56 olds.

Old April 15th, 2008, 06:06 PM

Disc brake conversion for 40-56 olds.

I found this and am thinking of heading down this path, I'm just wondering if anyone on here has used these and how they went. I have priced all the parts needed from carquest and it comes to about $500 plus the brackets they sell at $165.

I called and they told me that you cant run the original rims due to the calipers, just wondering what other rims would work? Also they list 3 lengths for brake hose, 10 3/4 , 122 3/4 and 14" and on the phone said to use which one suit you. Does anyone know the original length of a '55 olds front brake hose? the calipers sit at the back of the rotors so have to take that into consideration in choosing a hose length.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm in Australia so I want to make sure I know everything I possible can first and order the right parts, as returning them will be a bit difficult!

thanks

www.scarebird.com
Old April 15th, 2008, 08:24 PM

This is just an opinion..I was thinking of doing the same thing, but on my '57 and '59 Oldsmobiles.. Someone sells the brackets on Ebay from time to time and it seems pretty easy, until it comes to the brake booster. You will need to fabricate some type of FIREWALL mounted dual master cylinder ( pre '60 uses the master cylinder somewhat under the floorboard at a weird angle ) This will also involve the brake pedal and how it mounts. Also needed is a more modern brake line junction block. So the $500 they quoted you will easily turn to another couple hundred dollars and much time of your own to finish this installation when you are finished. I said screw it - as long as your brake system is taken care of with maintenance I have never had a problem with the 4 wheel drum brakes
Old April 15th, 2008, 08:47 PM

I understand on the drum brakes and my 32 roadster has drums, so I'm not adverse to running them. However this is going to be a daily driver and all year round car. So I would prefer discs up front. I have also seen these

http://www.streetrodgarage.com/index...ROD&ProdID=498

again, anyone had anything to do with these? as while it looks expensive, when you add the master cylinder and booster to the other list, its about the same $$ wise. At least this should all match??
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:55 PM

FlatOZ

Go to www.discbrakemike.com he is an olds guy and has a complete setup for the 55 disc brake conversion for the front drums.

Hope this helps
Olds Nut