1957 Master Cylinder Question

Old September 24th, 2007, 12:50 PM
1957 olds super 88

1957 Master Cylinder Question

Hi there,
Is there any way to:

1.) Convert to a newer dual resivoir master?

2.) Convert and move the master to the upper firewall? I know the fresh air vents are there, but there is a lot of solid firewall in between them that could be beefed up with some 1/4" plate stock.

Thanks
Old September 24th, 2007, 03:30 PM

You shouldn't have any problem converting to a more modern dual chamber master cylinder. Oldsguy converted the brakes on his 69 Delta 88 from power assist to manual. I would think the only thing you would have to do is make sure the movement of the plunger in your master cylinder allowed full actuation of the slave cylinders. Moving the master cylinder would be a bit more difficult. You would actually have to change the geometry in how the brake pedal moves the plunger in the master cylinder. If you are good with engineering this would be easier.

PM Oldsguy or keep this near the top, he can at least let you know what it was like modifying the brakes on his Delta. Also, someone else might have already done what you are looking to do. Good luck!
Old September 24th, 2007, 06:23 PM

Keep in touch with how your project goes, thinking the same thing on our 54
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Past Administrator

mbat, I know what you are attempting to do. It is a little different than what I did since the MC was already mounted high and I could use the same hanger mechanism. I have heard of people changing to an upper mounted dual MC in the older cars. You might get some responses from people who have actually done this over at the Jalopyjournal.com website, then navigate to the H.A.M.B. sub forum. Lots of older cars there and it is free to join.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:08 PM

I remember some guy saying he was going to use A 70s Dodge van set up. Diddnt hear any more
Old September 30th, 2007, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by mbat
Hi there,
Is there any way to:

1.) Convert to a newer dual resivoir master?
I would love to see someone start converting these old power brake boosters to dual reseviors. I honestly feel these are good units and have them on my (semi - daily driven ) '57 and '59 Oldsmobiles. I know that on the firewall on my '59, there are holes covered up with rubber grommets. I didnt think much of it until I figured out these were punched out holes for cars equipped with Manual brakes. I may just need a manual brake pedal assembly and a new dual master. I may start this conversion next Spring.
Old April 7th, 2021, 08:18 PM

Battle born brakes has what you need for the newer master cylinder setup
Old April 7th, 2021, 09:32 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

This thread is over 13 years old.
Old April 10th, 2021, 06:53 AM

But the issue is still around.

My car is down with brake problems as I type but I'll probably never change it over because I use it for show and that modification would be points costly. But should you make this conversion keep in mind that the brakes work backwards (peddle pushes to the rear not towards the front) so your peddle configuration is *** backwards and will need something more conventional to work like a Chevy s10 or some hot rod shop aftermarket swing peddle setup. Very doable but there is more to it than just bolting a new master on and head down the road...... Tedd
Old April 10th, 2021, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the info tedd my 57 olds is a nice driver but I will not just change over unless I'm sure just don't want anymore issues for a long time with this setup
Old April 12th, 2021, 07:40 AM

My feeling is that if you are restoring an old car with single master you should replace all the hydraulics. Once you've replaced all the brake lines, wheel cylinders, hoses and master there is little to go wrong for at least another 30 years. Why hack it up to put in a dual master.