1968 drum spindle to disk spindle conversion?

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2007, 03:01 AM

1968 drum spindle to disk spindle conversion?

ive heard mention that one can take a set of drum brake spindles from a 68 cutlass, and have a hole opened up on them, and a section milled off of it and it will be identical to a disk brake spindle from a 68

then all one needs are the other parts like rotors, calipers, hoses, backing plates etc etc which are available new

anyone ever hear this, and if its true, can someone please shed some light on this for me - possibly a link with an explanation? or pics / diagrams or something?

i happen to have a spare set of drum spindles, and id probably end up getting new rotors, and calipers anyway

ive heard enough bad about the conversion kits available that i think im going to want this to be stock GM parts. I can live with milling a set of drum spindles, and enlarging a hole if it makes it just like a factory disk spindle.

please advise yes or no - is my buddy F.O.S.? he told me it was true, but didnt have any specifics - figured someone here would know

thanks

Mike

Last edited by perro; September 3rd, 2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by perro
ive heard mention that one can take a set of drum brake spindles from a 68 cutlass, and have a hole opened up on them, and a section milled off of it and it will be identical to a disk brake spindle from a 68

then all one needs are the other parts like spindles, calipers, hoses, backing plates etc etc which are available new

anyone ever hear this, and if its true, can someone please shed some light on this for me - possibly a link with an explanation? or pics / diagrams or something?

i happen to have a spare set of drum spindles, and id probably end up getting new rotors, and calipers anyway

ive heard enough bad about the conversion kits available that i think im going to want this to be stock GM parts. I can live with milling a set of drum spindles, and enlarging a hole if it makes it just like a factory disk spindle.

please advise yes or no - is my buddy F.O.S.? he told me it was true, but didnt have any specifics - figured someone here would know

thanks

Mike
I don't think you even need to open up the hole. The only difference between the drum and disk spindles is the height of the boss that the upper bolt goes into. You can mill this down and the caliper brackets and splash shields bolt right up. The tapped hole SHOULD be deep enough, but it not you'll need to drill and tap.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:46 AM

This is an interesting thread... I've swapped several sets from drum to disc and sent the drum parts to the scrap yard! Joe, could you provide more detail on which bolt hole your describing?
Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 2blu442
This is an interesting thread... I've swapped several sets from drum to disc and sent the drum parts to the scrap yard! Joe, could you provide more detail on which bolt hole your describing?
This website provides pictures. Note that first gen Camaro and 64-72 A-bodies use the same spindles.

http://www.pozziracing.com/brakes.ht..._brake_spindle
Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:30 PM

thats what im looking for

thank you Joe!!

for those who are lazy, click the thumbnail photo below
here is what he is talking about.
if after milling that boss down to disk brake height, and there are not enough threads left in the hole, you are going to have to add more threads to that hole by drilling and tapping - it all makes perfect sense to me now!!

thanks again Joe

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
69spin34 copy.jpg (21.9 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by perro; September 3rd, 2007 at 01:41 PM.