1970 Cutlass Brake Line Replacement

Old September 22nd, 2010, 02:55 PM

Angry 1970 Cutlass Brake Line Replacement

I purchased all new OEM brake lines from inline tube. Everything was going well until I started removing the rear brake line. The brake line goes through a metal loop that's mounted between the frame and the chassis. This metal loop is located just before the left rear wheel area. It appears that the chassis will need to be lifted away from the frame to gain access to the bolt holding the loop in place. I could just saw the loop off, but I want to try doing it right first. I looked for the bolts holding the chassis on the frame, but I can't seem to find them. Anyone out there able to help me with this one? This car has fought me every inch of the way. Thanks in advance.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

"Frame" and "chassis" are usually used to refer to the same thing. I think you mean between the body and the frame. There are a bunch of bolts that go through holes in the bottom of the chassis and into welded-on nuts in the body. All pass through rubber body mounts. You do not want to take this apart, as many of the body bolts are rusted to the welded nuts and will start to spin.

When you say a "loop", do you mean a metal clamp that holds the lines to the frame? Trust me, there's a bolt. Keep feeling for it.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:50 PM

Thank you Joe,

Yes, I meant the frame and the body,sorry about the confusion. The metal loop is a metal clamp, except unlike most clamps, this metal clamp is a wide loop that allows some play. There's not enough room to remove the brake line through it, however. I imagine the loop (or clamp) has a bolt fastening it to the frame, however, I can't get to it because of the body.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by bpnoel
Thank you Joe,

Yes, I meant the frame and the body,sorry about the confusion. The metal loop is a metal clamp, except unlike most clamps, this metal clamp is a wide loop that allows some play. There's not enough room to remove the brake line through it, however. I imagine the loop (or clamp) has a bolt fastening it to the frame, however, I can't get to it because of the body.
It's there. No fun. However, running the new brake line (bending it to get through in that area with the body on, and re-bending it to the fit the fitting to the rear axle) is another #$%^ story. I did manage to do it. Mine were also from inline tube. I had no problems with the front,(engine out) other than minor tweeking.
Good luck!!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:55 PM

the line clamp bolt you are having trouble with can be done with an open end wrench with some offset. i think i used a ratchet type. also i used a pry bar to give some more room by pushing up against the floor.

the tricky part however is getting the bolt and clamp back on. i made a scribe mark on the lateral part of the frame as to where the bolt hole is located. this way you only have to guess as to how far in the hole is on the top of the frame rail.
use lots of light be patient and you'll get it
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:41 PM

Thanks ziff396 and body 51. Which way does the bolt go, is it up through the frame, or down between the frame and the body?
Old September 23rd, 2010, 01:31 PM

bolt thread is down. one more thing: if you are ever working on your car and you think that you should be cutting something or..... using a hammer.... stop take and break, and, think things through

Last edited by body 51; September 23rd, 2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by body 51
one more thing: if you are ever working on your car and you think that you should be cutting something or..... using a hammer.... stop take and break, and, think things through
That makes it pretty tough to do bodywork...
Old September 24th, 2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by body 51
bolt thread is down. one more thing: if you are ever working on your car and you think that you should be cutting something or..... using a hammer.... stop take and break, and, think things through
Exactly Been there to many times. However, once in a while the hammer comes in handy to take it out on something else.
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:19 PM

If its all that hard, I think I'd bypass that clamp, make up something else.
Old September 24th, 2010, 08:13 PM

Hit it with some Liquid Wrench, and let it sit overnight!
Helps a ton!
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:20 AM

I'll be working on it tonight. I'm going to try to loosen the body bolts one at a time. If I'm lucky, I 'll be able to loosen all of the bolts on one side and raise the body off the frame high enough to remove the bolt holding the clamp. After that, I should be home free. Thanks for all of the replies.
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:27 AM

I was able to loosen the two bolts at the rear of the car, however, the bolts in the middle of the car are not exposed. They seem to be covered with rubber grommets. They are either grommets covering the bolt heads, or the body is just resting on the bushings at those locations. If they are grommets covering the bolt heads, is there a trick to getting them off? I don't want to ruin them trying to pry them off. I imagine getting them back on again will be difficult, as well.
Old September 27th, 2010, 07:12 AM

After careful consideration I decided it was best to cut the clamp loose rather than try and remove the body bolts. There was too much uncertainty about being able to remove the bolts and I may have made much more work for myself. I can still replace the clamp sometime in the future if I have the need to remove the body. The clamp was cut with a pair of tin snips and the line slipped into place nicely. I did have to remove the transmission cross member bolts to slide the line through it, but that was simple enough. The front right brake line was a challenge because the engine was in place, however it was maneuvered in place without any bending and it fits very snug. I'm glad that's over, what a PITA.
Old September 27th, 2010, 07:58 AM

glad you got it