Drum Brakes - Add Booster?

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2019, 05:06 PM

Drum Brakes - Add Booster?

Currently my 70’ CS is a 4-wheel manual drum brake car. Not ready to convert to disc yet but was contemplating if adding a drum brake booster would benefit. If it is worth it, what would be involved in installing one? Do I have to make any major modifications?
Old February 19th, 2019, 09:34 AM

I have the same thing on my car. Drum- drum Manual. I was thinking of switching to disk all the way around at some point
but im going to keep them manual. I have a friend that have a 69 vett he has the 4 piston disk up front and 2 piston in the rear.(stock). They stops great. I know not the same ,but. I like the feel and the look of it. Willwood makes a set I’ve been looking at for a little while now I think that is the way to go for me. Good luck on what ever you chose.
Old February 19th, 2019, 12:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allmyin
I have a friend that have a 69 vett he has the 4 piston disk up front and 2 piston in the rear.(stock).
I realize this is off topic for this thread, but in the interest of avoiding truth decay, look again at the calipers on that Corvette. The only calipers used on either end of a 1969 Vette from the factory had four pistons per caliper.
Old February 19th, 2019, 05:23 PM

I stand corrected Thank you.
Old February 19th, 2019, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by tgilligan
what would be involved in installing one? Do I have to make any major modifications?
I think all you need to do is add a booster and maybe use a different length (or adjustable) pedal push rod moved to the other hole in the brake pedal arm. If any of this is inaccurate, I'm sure someone will correct post up and correct me.
Old February 20th, 2019, 05:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fun71
I think all you need to do is add a booster and maybe use a different length (or adjustable) pedal push rod moved to the other hole in the brake pedal arm. If any of this is inaccurate, I'm sure someone will correct post up and correct me.
There was even a power booster kit available from the parts department for dealer-installed upgrade. You do have to bend the brake lines from the M/C to the distribution block, however.
Old June 2nd, 2019, 11:58 AM

I am thinking about converting my '70 Olds Rallye to a power drum brake. (Currently just a manual drum brake) Is there a big process to change it over or do I just need to add booster? The brakes take about 5 feet to stop the car completly with just the manual brakes. Will it make a big difference in stopping? How much is a conversion & where do you recommend purchasing one?
Thanks for the help
Old June 20th, 2019, 07:30 PM

Anyone?
Old June 20th, 2019, 07:45 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Federated52
Anyone?
Suggestion. Start your own separate thread.
Old June 20th, 2019, 09:53 PM
Administrator

I believe your question was answered in posts 5 and 6.
Old June 21st, 2019, 05:29 PM

OK, any suggestions on where to buy a booster upgrade?
Oh & sorry for hijacking this thread. I just thought my sitiuation was similar to the OP.
Old June 21st, 2019, 06:01 PM

You should be able to get a booster from your local auto parts store, any of the restoration houses, ebay, and even Amazon.
Old June 21st, 2019, 06:35 PM
Running On Empty

Let me address a couple of talking points for you. As has been mentioned, you already know you can upgrade manual drum brakes to power assisted drum brakes. All the hardware essentially remains the same at each wheel. The power booster is there to assist in applying pedal pressure to the brake system and make it easier to apply brake pressure.

But, there are a couple of caveats when addressing an upgrade. I do not know the specifics of your 1970, but here are some points:

(1) If your vehicle has a single MC reservoir, you should upgrade to a dual MC reservoir at the time you upgrade to a power assisted brake system;
(2) Consider, yes, some Power Boosters are inexpensive and some are very poorly manufactured creating an enormous PITA; while, others, yes, are more expensive and are manufactured with industry best practices (and, they're worth every penny);
(3) Whenever possible, purchase both a new MC and a new Power Booster at the exact same time and from the same manufacturer designed for your specific vehicle. This is very important in the two basic aspects of the MC+Power Booster system:
The linkage between the Power Booster and the MC must be spot-on in length - spot-on. This is eliminated when buying a Power Booster + MC manufactured from the same company. No futzing around w/ did you buy a Power Booster which doesn't have the ability to make the adjustment to the control rod and MC piston? Are you going to need to buy the tool? Do you know how to make the adjustment? And, is the Power Booster correctly designed to mount on your vehicle's firewall and then mount to the MC "correctly"? It isn't a simple turn a wrench and be done with it all.
(4) Are there clear and appropriate instructions detailing the installation procedure and the MC + Power Booster adjustment? Is there a warranty associated with the items? Is there customer service available if you screw-the-pooch on the install?

I dialed in some numbers for you on a 1970 Olds Cutlass Power Brake Conversion kit. IMO, Master Power Brakes is one of the leaders in aftermarket automotive brake systems. You can review their videos on YouTube and elsewhere and they are knowledgeable, provide warranties, provide excellent customer service, etc.

1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass Power Booster Conversion Kits

Old June 21st, 2019, 07:16 PM
Administrator

At Napa:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NMBP...aster+cylinder
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBB5...er+drum%2fdrum
Old June 21st, 2019, 08:26 PM

Thanks for all the info. The master cylinder (A duel) is fairly new maybe only a few months old. I purchased it from advance auto. It sounds as though I should have a professional install it, so I know it's done right. I did check out the link you put on here. I will give them a call next week to get an idea of what my options are. Thanks Again for the info.