1964 Jetstar 1 Brake booster hiss? - ClassicOldsmobile.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 14th, 2018, 02:05 PM   #1  

1964 Jetstar 1 Brake booster hiss?

Hey all-I've rebuilt the drum brakes and put a new master cylinder on my Jetstar, but recently, when I start it up, I get a fairly loud hiss coming from near the brake booster. Sounds like a vacuum leak, but I cannot pinpoint it. When i depress the brakes, the hiss goes away. Is this a leaking brake booster probably?
foulpalamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 03:23 PM   #2  
Old(s) Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by foulpalamont View Post
Hey all-I've rebuilt the drum brakes and put a new master cylinder on my Jetstar, but recently, when I start it up, I get a fairly loud hiss coming from near the brake booster. Sounds like a vacuum leak, but I cannot pinpoint it. When i depress the brakes, the hiss goes away. Is this a leaking brake booster probably?
Sounds like the inlet valve is leaking. There's a concentric inlet valve around the pushrod between the booster and brake pedal (labeled "poppet" in this drawing). With the pedal released, this valve should seal so that the volume behind the diaphragm can be evacuated by manifold vacuum. When you press on the pedal, this valve opens and the vacuum valve in the center of the diaphragm closes, so atmospheric pressure can enter behind the diaphragm. Since you still have vacuum on the front of the diaphragm, this is where the "boost" in the brake booster comes from.

joe_padavano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 05:30 PM   #3  

Thanks Joe. I really appreciate this. I kinda thought it was something related to the booster and this makes a lot of sense.
foulpalamont is offline   Reply With Quote