Treadle vac woes and a idea

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2018, 08:14 PM

Treadle vac woes and a idea

I'm having issues again with my Treadle vac system, hard peddle at first warm up most of the time , I don't like intermittent brakes one bit so it's time for a fix again.It's same symptoms as last time. My guess is the fiber gasket has compressed enough to allow junk to enter the system and screw up the piston. It seems the old rope type fiber gaskets were better than the new stuff we get today although it has lasted about 12 years sense the last re build .

I have had a wild *** thought of adding a electric vacuum boost concealed under the frame but I haven't ever seen that on anything but a few hot rods and stock Cadillac's that needed the extra boost for a wild cams or for space reasons. Any one have any experience with one of these units?..... Tedd
Old September 7th, 2018, 08:56 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tedd, I agree with you on the intermittent brakes. Are you talking about adding a vacuum pump under the floor. If you have a problem with the treadlevac itself, will the pump do any good. I had Karps rebuild my treadlevac and I have been very pleased. Of course it hasn't been 12 years yet.
Old September 8th, 2018, 05:02 AM
Gary

Hi Tedd,

If your problem is low vacuum, then I have experience with an electric vacuum pump. When I got a longer-duration cam in my VC about 20 years ago, I installed a vacuum pump from a Cavalier or Cimarron and it has worked flawlessly since.

If your problem is boost and you are open to another type of installation, you could use a remote vacuum booster. One maker is https://techtalk.mpbrakes.com/booste...e-compartments

I first saw these on sport cars in England about 60 years ago. My brother's Sunbeam Tiger had one and it worked without problem for the many years he owned it.

Good luck with getting this fixed.

Gary
Old September 8th, 2018, 07:51 AM

Well the Treadle vac will have to be re built no matter what I do for safety reasons but the thoughts of having something to boost the vacuum seems like a good idea at this time. I haven' put much thought into it as to plumbing and such but as far as function it should work/ help.

I haven't pulled anything apart (or had someone else do it) as yet so I could be wrong on my diagnosis . It could be as simple as a stuck inline valve from the carb or something like that. It would be easier to find if it wasn't intermittent. More to come as I look deeper into this new problem...... Tedd
Old October 23rd, 2018, 02:55 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Tedd (and others):

Lately, I notice that my power brake pedal "shudders" on release, every two or three times. The pedal also seems to be lower but there is no fade. Anyone experienced this?
Old October 23rd, 2018, 08:13 AM

Just a guess but If it shutters it could be the inline valve has gummed up. It would be worth the time to pull it off and wash it with s strong solvent just to see if it cleared up.Other wise it you gotta go deeper into the unit.... Tedd
Old October 26th, 2018, 04:51 AM

You could put an updated booster on the firewall and forget all about these woes.
Old October 26th, 2018, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kensey
You could put an updated booster on the firewall and forget all about these woes.
I could but it would be setting there for the world to see. The hydro boost would be under the frame and not so noticeable. The car is pretty much stock as is and I try to keep it that way for judging and show reasons..... Tedd
Old October 31st, 2018, 03:20 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Originally Posted by ignachuck
Tedd (and others):

Lately, I notice that my power brake pedal "shudders" on release, every two or three times. The pedal also seems to be lower but there is no fade. Anyone experienced this?
Pardon the interruption, but I figured out the problem ^^^^. I wasn't looking forward to pulling the wheel and taking off the access panel to check the brake fluid, but low brake fluid was the problem. Now to examine everything to see if I have a leak somewhere.