Brakes dont work 36 olds

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2018, 04:36 AM

Brakes dont work 36 olds

I have just recently talked to my father and will be inheriting his 36 oldsmobile, straight V6. He hasn't turned if over for quite some time but more importantly, the brakes dont work. Can anyone tell me more about how this system works and how involved is rebuilding it if that needs to be done? Thanks, newbie and 1st time Oldsmobile owner.
Old July 6th, 2018, 06:15 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

First, there is no such thing as a straight V6. It is a straight 6. The car has a pretty elementary braking system. The system consists of a single master cylinder, brake lines, 4 wheel cylinders, brakes shoes with attaching parts and four brake drums. If the car has been sitting for some time, you are probably going to need to go through the entire braking system. You will need to overhaul the master cylinder and all the wheel cylinders and at least flush the lines. If they are rusted they will need to be replaced. You will need to inspect the shoes and brake drums. Hopefully the drums can be turned. The master cylinder will be under the floorboard so it is kind of a pain to get to. You may be able to less to at least get the car to stop but there is nothing on a car more important than the brakes. Post some pictures of the car when you have a chance. We love pictures and welcome to Classic Olds.
Old July 6th, 2018, 06:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. Your Olds has an inline six - the six pistons are all in a straight line. (The photo is an example, it is not your motor)

A V6 has two parallel banks of three cylinders each. This configuration packages better but has vibration and harmonics issues.

Your Olds engine is what is called a flathead design. The intake and exhaust valves are in the block and the head is just a flat piece of cast iron. This was a common, low cost way to build engines, but has performance limitations due to airflow restrictions.
Old July 6th, 2018, 06:51 AM

From the '36 Olds brochure.

Old July 6th, 2018, 07:21 AM

Catch a few u tube videos like this one...
or others like it. You have the most simple system out there and once you understand the concept it will be much easier to getter done.

As Redoldsmobile said brakes are the most important part of your car, make sure it stops before it goes..... Tedd
Old July 6th, 2018, 07:28 AM

Wow, the pics and info is great guys. Thanks so much. I'm a car guy but have been out of working and turning the wrench for a while so laying it down simple and sweet is much appreciated. I had looked up brake lines and are cheap as far as Ebay goes. Since the car is still at my dad's garage and blocked in with work tools and stuff, I'll get what pics I can of it next time over.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 11:49 AM

I got a chance to talk to my dad and find a little more about the 36. It has a manual transmission. He doesn't know condition of it because of the brakes not working. Hasn't started it up in a while, what has those who kept them originally do for leaded gasoline? Lead additive? From the pictures, he did the work on the drivers door and didnt realize it has lacquer paint and thinks its ruined. The trunk latches rusted or broke and had some steel ones put on for looks. Where do you guys go for replacement parts or do you fabricate your own? My garage is in the process of being demolished so it won't be for another month before I have a new home and getting pics and idea of what else she needs.

Old August 2nd, 2018, 02:40 PM
Administrator

The car will run on unleaded fuel, just replace the rubber portions of the fuel lines. The brakes are pretty simple and there are still wheel cylinder kits available. Don't buy a bunch of stuff before you inspect.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 10:02 PM

Looks like a fun project. good luck.
Old December 4th, 2018, 03:10 PM

If you are going to get the project rolling ------ I have the Master Cylinder, Wheel Cylinders, Brake Hoses, Brake Shoes, and Wheel Bearings & Seals for your 1936 Oldsmobile -- ALL NEW!!!!!!!!!!!

Always best to simply Call me ----- Craig -- 516- 485 - 1935 .... West Hempstead, Long Island, New York --- just saw your thread now....... here to hep you.......