Emergency brake help

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2018, 07:28 PM

Emergency brake help

Trying to tackle a few things on my car, 72 cutlass supreme. I need to install a new wheel cylinder on drivers side, and was going to tackle another project of emergency brake/parking brake. Currently I have no e-brake cable at all, so I don't have a item to compare for a new one. Some help would be appreciated.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 06:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bmoskal
Trying to tackle a few things on my car, 72 cutlass supreme. I need to install a new wheel cylinder on drivers side, and was going to tackle another project of emergency brake/parking brake. Currently I have no e-brake cable at all, so I don't have a item to compare for a new one. Some help would be appreciated.

What "help" are you looking for? The e-brake cables and routing are illustrated in your 1972 Chassis Service Manual, Chapter 5. There is a front cable that runs from the pedal assembly, an intermediate cable that loops around behind the crossmember, and rear cables, one from each backing plate. The front and and intermediate cables are different depending on if you have a TH400 or a shorter trans. The intermediate cable also comes in different lengths due to wheel base differences (112", 116", or 121"). There are various hooks that support the intermediate cable. Those parts are available new, as are the cables.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 07:32 AM

I don't have a service manual for this car yet, and was unaware of multiple peices. Thought it was one continuous piece from inside to back wheel. Is there a pdf version or online version of the manual somewhere?