Stuck plunger on a BE master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2018, 08:23 AM

Stuck plunger on a BE master cylinder

Anyone have any advice on getting a stuck plunger out of a master cylider. It was sitting in the weather for the last 8 years. The plunger goes in with some force and I have been spraying it with CRC's version of liquid wrench. Before I weld something to the plunger and destroy it is there a more civilized way to get this out?

My next move will be to totally soak it in this solution for a week and see it there is any change.

It's the correct "BE" master off of my 71' 442.
Old March 25th, 2018, 08:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

I would try compressed air in the outlet port. Just be sure to have a pile of rags to catch the piston and be sure it is pointed away from you when you do this.
Old March 25th, 2018, 10:44 AM

I didn't try it as of yet Joe but the amount of force it took to move it I'm thinking it migh not work. I'll try it and get back to you.
Old March 25th, 2018, 11:25 AM

I have an EB that was pretty rusty from sitting and I had to try everything: penetrating oil, heat etc... the bore was so corroded I had to take a round file to the inside edges so the plunger would get by. It still wouldn't budge so I ended up drilling a hole in the center of plunger and tapped it with 1/4" tap and inserted a long bolt which I welded threaded rod to the head. I then put a big washer and nut on the rod and wrenched it out little by little. I destroyed the plunger but you can get new rebuild parts from rock auto but it doesn't include the inner plunger which I still have to source but they must be out there. This cylinder will need to be sleeved at the least but it is the original and a few companies do sleeving in brass and stainless.
Old March 25th, 2018, 12:32 PM

Thanks Paul that's going to be my last resort. Joe, Just tried 140lbs of air, didn't budge but it did bubble around the outsides of the plunger which is a good sign. Going to let it soak some in Hercules Penetrating oil then try again in a few days.
Old March 25th, 2018, 08:16 PM

Hate to ask as you probably did this but......Did you remove the retainer ring/clip? It's somewhat partially hidden by the machined channel it partially sits down in.

Inline Tube sells a rebuild kit with one or both pistons included and you can probably find good rebuild kits locally that include one or both.

Scrappie's idea sounds good......unless you can weld aluminum you're not going to get anything to "weld" to the piston.
Old March 26th, 2018, 05:26 AM

There was no need to remove the retainer, it disintegrated. Didn't see a rebuild kit on their web site, I'll give them a call. Yes, probably better to drill and tap, tough to get in there with the spool gun. Sometimes you just get tunnel vision. Never did much rebuild work, there use to be shops that did all of this back when, now it's all replacement parts.

Still soaking in the "good stuff" which they stopped selling a while a go, ao you know it has to work. I'll post when I finally have a solution. Thanks.
Old March 26th, 2018, 08:31 AM

Anyone have a line on these parts? Inline has no kits. Tried classic tube, kanter, rockauto and advanced all no good.

The closest thing I could find was a Pontiac company in NH, Ames Performance. They have a kit with one plunger for a GTO, which they cannot tell me much about. Asked if it would fit my master and is it the inner or outer plunger, they couldn't answer either.
Old March 26th, 2018, 09:39 AM

CALL Inline Tube....I did 2 minutes ago and they have two each in stock of their disc brake MC rebuild kits. BOTH kits show to have 2 pistons in them.
Old March 26th, 2018, 11:52 AM

Who did you speak to? I called inline this morning and they said they do not have rebuild kits for master cylinders.

I just got off the phone with Dan from Inline Tube, 1800385-9452 (3:01). He said he does not sell rebuild kits for Master Cylinders, they sell complete master cylinders. Same answer I got this morning. I asked "do you sell master cylinder rebuild kits for GM master cylinders" and Dan told me no. Let me know who you spoke to so I can have them send me the kits. Thanks.

Looks like Summit has them. They have a 1" & 1-1/4" bore. (3:35)

Last edited by zeeke; March 26th, 2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old March 26th, 2018, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Is this the kit your looking for?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...42?prefilter=1

Sleeving services:
https://www.brakecylindersleeving.com/

http://karpspb.com/sleeving.htm
Old March 26th, 2018, 01:07 PM

That is a rebuild kit. I bought one from Rock Auto a while ago. There is another plunger in front of that that I have not been able to source but they must be out there?
Old March 26th, 2018, 02:29 PM

Yes Eric that's the one I saw. I found another site called Stock Wise that had the original delco type. Thanks for the info on the sleeving services. I suspect it will need to be done, so when I get it out I'll advise and take some pictures. When the replacement comes I'll make sure it's the right bore and I'll be a little more confident in mangling the original. With any luck the Hercules solution will work out. I wish I'd paid more attention to this project when I had to store it outside. 3 kids, working on a house and 2 jobs will make you put things on the back burner that need attention. Next I will tackle the steering box. The only other thing was the wiper motor, which I got from 442crzy, and the wiring harness which was beat up anyway.

Better late than never, over the past year I've realized if I work the OT on my main job it doesn't pay to work the second job. Only took 7 years to figure that out.

Paul all the kits I saw only had 1 plunger. Again, I'll advise when the new kit comes. How did you find the one in Rock Auto, I had no luck this AM?

Thank you all for your help.

Last edited by zeeke; March 26th, 2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old March 26th, 2018, 02:35 PM

parts

we have gone to the auto parts store and bought a rebuilt

and just pull the guts out to rebuild the original

just a thought ..make sure bore size and piston depth is the same

Scott

NORMALLY DELCO DESIGN POWER BOOSTER WAS ORIGINALLY GOLD ANODIZED AND USED A MASTER CYLINDER WITH A SHALLOW PISTON

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE BENDIX BOOSTER WAS NORMALLY PAINTED BLACK AND USED A MASTER CYLINDER WITH A DEEP PISTON HOLE 1971 +1972
Old March 26th, 2018, 03:09 PM

I just checked Rockauto, they still have them. I started with Oldsmobile then cutlass then 5.7 ltr then selected brakes and scrolled down to master cylinder repair kit and they list a few.
Old March 26th, 2018, 07:12 PM

The rebuild kits are clearly shown in ILT's paper catalog.

PN INL 13279 - has "deep hole" for the MC pin

PN INL 13280 - Shallow hole for the MC pin

Both are $38 and both show to have BOTH pistons, etc. Neither appear to have the rubber boot that shows up in some vendors kits (but those kits usually only have ONE piston). Both are for a 1-1/8" bore.

I've purchased one of these kits from ILT before and have it here. I'm not "imagining" this stuff.

Don't remember who I spoke with but it wasn't Chuck. May have been Dan but not sure. Anyway, I gave him these catalog PN's and he replied "We show to have 2 of each in stock".

It sounds like it's amateur hour at ILT.
Old March 27th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Lance

FWIW, the below website has how to articles, and some hard to find brake system seals.

https://www.musclecarresearch.com/
Old March 28th, 2018, 05:33 PM

Hey Patton look at that page 28 plain as day. I wonder how many times people call and they tell them they don't have an item?
Old March 29th, 2018, 12:01 PM

Ok, a little update on the parts. I ordered the correct plunger but, as Scrappie stated, only the front is in the kit. I called Inline yet again and asked a different salesman if they sell rebuild kits. By now you should have guessed what he said... wait for it... "No we only sell full masters already rebuilt." I asked him to check a part number for me and he said "well look at that". Turns out they sell 3 different types. $38 a kit, front and rear plungers.

They still tried to push a master saying their masters are Concore judged. Generic Chevy part in an Oldsmobile? Who's judging them?

Advanced had brand new masters for $34 so I did what 72455442RA recommended, bought that one and will just use the parts.

I'll post pics of the disassembly when I start it.
Old March 30th, 2018, 12:04 PM

Any of you that are still following this tread Game Over! I discovered last night the end of the master where the retainer ring goes was rooted off the end. So much for the correct master.

Old April 18th, 2018, 11:45 AM

Hey zeeke, I have good "BE" cores and rebuilt with stainless steel sleeves available if you are in need.
Thanks.
Old April 18th, 2018, 03:32 PM

Rocket what are you asking?
Old April 18th, 2018, 08:04 PM

I thought it was self explanatory, since your "BE" Master is no good, I have some available if you want?
Old April 18th, 2018, 08:16 PM

OK, how much do you want for one?
Old April 18th, 2018, 10:53 PM

For a core I want $175. A rebuilt "BE" with stainless steel sleeve and comes with a nice original Delco Master cap is $475 plus shipping.
Thanks.