Disks for Vista Cruiser??

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2018, 07:08 AM

Disks for Vista Cruiser??

I want to put front disk brakes on my 67 Vista Cruiser, do they use the same as the Cutlass? Are the "kits" from Summit Racing any good? I know there are different kits out there. I have power drum brakes, can I use my existing booster?
Old February 2nd, 2018, 08:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Toocool
I want to put front disk brakes on my 67 Vista Cruiser, do they use the same as the Cutlass? Are the "kits" from Summit Racing any good? I know there are different kits out there. I have power drum brakes, can I use my existing booster?
The Vista is an A-body, just like any other Cutlass or Chevelle. Personally I use the mini-kit from Right Stuff that includes the spindles, caliper brackets, and splash shields. Everything else (calipers, hoses, rotors, master cylinder) are available locally to save shipping on heavy cast iron parts. I guess it's up to you to decide if the extra cost of a "one stop shopping" kit is worth the time savings. All of these kits use the same Chinesium spindles, so shop for price.

The only thing to be aware of is that GM used different size bolts that hold the steering arms to the spindles over the years. The kits all come with the largest of these bolts. You may need to open the holes in the steering arms to match.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 11:31 AM

OK, If I use the mini kit the rotors, calipers and master cylinder I need are for 69 and up "A" body's, correct? What about a proportioning valve? I had to add one to my Chevelle when I converted it.
Thanks Joe.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 11:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Toocool
OK, If I use the mini kit the rotors, calipers and master cylinder I need are for 69 and up "A" body's, correct? What about a proportioning valve? I had to add one to my Chevelle when I converted it.
Thanks Joe.
Correct. These kits all use the 69-72 style single piston calipers. You will also probably want to get the frame-side bracket for the caliper hoses. These are slightly different from the brackets for the drum hoses. Most of the repro houses sell them. I got mine from Inline Tube.