LS 98-02 Camaro Rear Brake Swap on 68 12 bolt O-Type Rear

Old January 4th, 2018, 07:33 AM

LS 98-02 Camaro Rear Brake Swap on 68 12 bolt O-Type Rear

Anybody done a swap of 98-02 LS Camaro brakes on the 68 Type O 12 bolt cover 10 bolt ring gear rearend using the BRP Hotrods or similar spacers? Will these spacers work on these Type O rears with bolt in axle retention verses the c-clip Chevy 12/10 bolts? Any issues with spacing, bolting Camaro backing plates on or with the machined OD of the axle hub fitting the ID of the LS rotors? Thanks
Old April 23rd, 2018, 10:21 AM

I am working on it.

I have started putting the ls rear brakes onto my 1968 442 12 bolt o-type rear. It appears to me that it’s gonna be pretty easy. They look like they are going to line up perfectly. I am almost done with the passengers side. To line it up, I cut the original backing plate to use as a spacer on the end of the axle housing.
I took off the bearing. Put on the Camaro backing plate and then the bearing retainer. From there, I pressed on the new bearing and slid the cutout of the backing plate over the bearing. I had to buy longer bolts to bolt it on. If you are using longer wheel studs, I would recommend putting them in before pressing on the bearing. There is not a lot of room between the axle flange and the new backing plate for getting the bolts in. I was able to work them in, but it took some work. I think the drivers side will go much quicker.
From the original backing plate, I just cut out the center par that bolts to the end of the axle tube. Without it, the bearing retainer doesn’t sit flush. This also made the caliper center over the rotor.
Like I said, it appears to be perfect. I hope the drivers side lines up the same i was worried about doing this, because I haven’t been able to find anything on doing this with the type-o axles.
Old April 25th, 2018, 05:19 PM

Drivers side

I did the drivers side tonight. Quick and easy. First I pulled the axle and put in new longer studs. I used a 4” grinder with a cut-off wheel to cut the section out of the backing plate that bolts to the axle housing. I cut off the old bearing off of the axle. Then I placed the new backing plate on the axle, followed by the flange which holds the axle in and then the cut off piece of old backing plate. Then a new bearing was pressed onto the axle. A new seal put in the axle housing. I used a longer version of the camaro backing plate bolts. They are slightly larger. I ran a drill bit through the original holes to open them up. Do this before installing the axle. The axle was installed and bolted in. I installed the rotor and caliper. The caliper was slightly off center. I was able to put a washer between the backing plate and caliper and bolt it back on. It was centered. I hope this helps someone. It was very easy. I used the 1977 Camaro hoses. They connect to the existing line and the caliper. I still have to install the master cylinder and bleed the system.
Old January 26th, 2020, 03:11 PM

Good evening ppgzbt

I am trying to do this on a 66 Lemans that has bolt in axles can you send me pics of what you cut or how you got this to work on bolt in axle,
1. Do I remove bearing and Axle retainer
2. put on new 98 Camaro backing plate followed by original axle retainer then press on new bearing?
is this the correct process that needs to happen to use the 98 Camaro brakes
Old January 29th, 2020, 04:56 AM

Hey Hurstcm

Sorry it took a couple of days to get back to you. I took some pictures this morning and will try to attach them. I cut the center out of the original backing plates that bolts to the axle flange, and I used it as a spacer. You can see it sandwiched between everything in the pictures. You have to remove the original bearing and retainer to get anything on or off the axle. I can’t remember the exact order that things went on. I put everything back in the same order it came off, but I used the piece off of the old backing plate to shim the new backing plate out further from the axle housing. I hope that makes sense. It really was not hard. Don’t let it scare you. I bought a press from Harbor Freight and pressed the bearings and retainers in myself.

Last edited by ppgzpbt; January 29th, 2020 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Need to add info
Old January 29th, 2020, 04:20 PM

PPGZPBT thanks for the reply,

Pics are awesome always nice to have a visual to see what im looking at.
Also did you fabricate the bracket holding on your parking brake cable? or is that something one can buy

Thanks again for the reply made my life easier with this project.
Old January 29th, 2020, 05:32 PM

Hurstcm

You’re welcome! Glad it helps! The bracket for the emergency brake cable is just a piece of angle iron. I shaped it on the grinder and drilled a hole for the cable. I cut the ends off of the camaro cables and then cut my cables under the car. I just found a good spot under the car to match them up and brazed them together. I spread the ends a little before brazing to have more surface area for the brass to stick to. It seems to be holding. I have only applied it a few times. My car isn’t on the road yet, and I don’t plan on using the emergency brake often. I have read that you can buy custom cables, but I don’t have the money for that. Hope it goes well!!
Old January 30th, 2020, 07:10 AM
Photoshop God

I have a set of the rear calipers only I'd send you cheap if you need them. I'd just need to check them to make sure they aren't frozen up. Picked them up to get the brackets for mounting the C6 calipers on my car. Mine is a 71, but you can see some photos in this thread.
Old March 11th, 2020, 09:32 AM

Questions

Could you take some pics with the rotor off? Im in the process of ordering/getting all my ducks in a row, and am more of a visual person.

i know you said you cut part of the original backing plate to retain the axle. Do you have any pics? Is this the drum backing plate or the new camaro plate?

Thanks