Drum brake bleed - MC

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2017, 05:39 PM

Drum brake bleed - MC

Is there a method I can bleed the MC without removing it for a bench bleed? I don’t have a bench vise or any vise for that matter. It’s a 4 wheel drum setup with no booster and I’d like to bleed the MC as bleeding at the wheels didn’t give me the results I was hoping for. I bought one of those Dorman kits which have the clips, adapters and hoses, could I use that? If so, as the MC doesn’t have bleeders on it do I just disconnect the steel lines going from the MC to the distribution block and attach the adapters/hoses to the MC and have someone pump till no bubbles? Or...am I off base and there another method?
Old October 9th, 2017, 07:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tgilligan
Is there a method I can bleed the MC without removing it for a bench bleed? I don’t have a bench vise or any vise for that matter. It’s a 4 wheel drum setup with no booster and I’d like to bleed the MC as bleeding at the wheels didn’t give me the results I was hoping for. I bought one of those Dorman kits which have the clips, adapters and hoses, could I use that? If so, as the MC doesn’t have bleeders on it do I just disconnect the steel lines going from the MC to the distribution block and attach the adapters/hoses to the MC and have someone pump till no bubbles? Or...am I off base and there another method?
First, to bench bleed the M/C, all you need to do is clamp it to something rigid so you can push on the piston.

Second, you can certainly bleed the M/C in the car. The downside is that this tends to spray brake fluid all over your paint, thus the desire to do it on the bench. I've used rags to prevent this.
Old October 9th, 2017, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by tgilligan
I don’t have a bench vise or any vise for that matter.
Can you buy one? I find a vise to be about as essential a tool as a set of screwdrivers or a set of wrenches. I use mine all the time for working on cars and for just generally fixing whatever needs fixing around the house.

I go to local estate sales from time to time, and I've seen pretty good ones for $10 or $15.
Old October 9th, 2017, 03:48 PM
Administrator

You can set the front of the MC against the wall or some other immovable object while holding it level and push the actuator with a screw driver. The MC just needs to be level so no air pockets remain. Doing it in the car with it mounted on an angle does not work sometimes.
Old October 9th, 2017, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You can set the front of the MC against the wall or some other immovable object while holding it level and push the actuator with a screw driver.
This is exactly what my buddies and I used to do back in high school when we didn't have very many tools.