any thoughts on these?

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2009, 09:05 AM

any thoughts on these?

Well after what seems like too many years I am getting back to the restoration of my cutty, so far the chasis is 90% done, i need to reistall the rear end and rear springs the front end is completed with all new parts and springs, and I upgraded the springs to account for the 455 conversion that is planned.
with prices spiraling up for parts to do the conversion some concessions by me need to be done, as i just don't have the spare cash to do everything all at once, and if I look at the whole cost I say to myself forget it part out the car LOL...

anyway then the unrational side of me says go on start it and it will be great, I love this car and I have gotten some very good advice here on the forums to do little projects, so we come to brakes
I have 4 wheel drum brakes, I originally planned on upgrading to 4 wheel disc and probably will still do this down the line, in the meantime just to get the chasis completed I was looking to redo all 4 wheels brakes
and did a google search and saw this
http://www.praisedynobrake.com/stage-iii.htm

I figure since the car will
1. NOT be raced
2. Will NOT be a daily driver
3. May see the occasional stop light skirmish LOL...
4. will be for mostly enjoyable cruising

that just redoing the drum system would be ok?

that upgrading the drums to 4 wheel discs could wait till such time as the car is finished and driving and the 4 wheel disc brake conversion will be an upgrade project down the line.

have any of you used a similar product is it worth it?
or do i just go to napa and get regular replacement stuff?

any help would be appreciated and remember the old olds you save could be your own LOL...

Last edited by Eddie Hansen; March 13th, 2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:19 AM

My opinions...

The prices of these kits are probably as much or higher than converting to stock front disc brakes.
If you want more stopping power at these prices I suggest a stock front disc upgrade.

If you go the stock front disc route, stopping power will be raised drastically and replacement brake parts will be readily available later from Napa or the repro places like Fusick at normal prices.

Those drum kits come with ceramic pads, so stopping power will be stronger, at the expense of wearing your costly, special-finned drum more. Where could you get parts for these later on down the road?
Run ceramic pads on a stock front disc setup and just buy a new rotors anywhere when they wear out. Ceramic should not even be needed given your driving style.

Given your driving style given, I see no reason rear discs will be needed at all.
So, I suggest just changing over to stock front discs and if you really want rear disc later, add them later.

If you are just cruising a few hundred miles a year, perhaps what you have is good enough. I have not driven a car with all wheel drums so i do not know how they compare with discs...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; March 13th, 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:10 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I had a 68 with power drums. I was going to change to front discs when I had time and money. Drove it about 8 years and 10k miles. It was a weekend cruiser with a mild 350. Only had 1 OH S&*% moment involving a deer jumping out of the woods in front of me. The new front end saved me because no brake system would have. The drums are fine for 98% of the time. The big problem comes with repeated hard braking, thats where discs have it all over drums. If you have alot stop and go driving change to stock front discs. I think that would be fine your car.
Discs do look way cooler though
Now have a 71 with power front discs not a huge difference except in stop and go traffic and probably in OH S&%$ moments. Hope to never find out!!!
Larry

Last edited by lshlsh2; March 13th, 2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Past Administrator

I kind of agree with Rob on this but I do like those finned drums. They remind me of the old Buick finned drums which are kind of a rage with older hot rods. You could buy all that minus the fancy drums and ceramic shoes at NAPA for much, much less.
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Thanks fellas...

yes i did look at napa while I was surfing

hey they have the FINNED drums !!! LOL... 67.49 each

the premium shoe sets are 33.79 each

actually if you went with the better quality stuff ( I assume)

i get a package for 611.....

that includes the master cylinder ( 2 models 1 for 35 the other for 81)

wheel cylinders for the front cost 25 bucks while they cost 52 for the back???
whats up with that LOL...
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:57 PM
this is not my car lol

i ordered a complete conversion for around 700 USD, and upgraded the control arm bushings to handle the extra stopping power.

i got sick of the brakes pulling left or right depending on which adjuster decided to stop working.
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Old(s) Fart

"Thermo-Cooled" drum brakes?

What a crock! As you have found, the finned brake drums are easy to find and are not that expensive. In fact, all the parts needed to completely rebuild your drum brakes are still readily available at any auto parts store. There is absolutely no reason to spend big dollars on a kit like this.
Old March 13th, 2009, 01:07 PM

In the rare event you missed this thread...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...disc-conv.html

Should be helpful for ya'...
Old March 13th, 2009, 01:30 PM

Thanks fellas....

will hold off on the discs, just get my drums back in shape, I needed to put the body back on, so i figured i would tackle the brakes and do that so i can get to the quarters LOL... crazy sh%t man... but I have to start somewhere....

Thank you one and all...