Mount new proportioning valve to frame with OEM bracket?

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2017, 07:18 PM

Mount new proportioning valve to frame with OEM bracket?

I'm converting to front disk brakes on a 1972 Cutlass vert. Does anyone know if the OEM frame bracket for the OEM proportioning value can be used to mount an aftermarket version of the valve like this one?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/GM-Dis...lets,9878.html

My current setup is pictured below (distribution block I think) and is in a pretty tight area so if I can use a bracket to mount the new valve in the same place without drilling that would be nice. I may even be able to reuse the existing lines. I really don't like the look of the valve under the MC but I'll go that way if I have to.

Old February 24th, 2017, 07:00 AM

That Speedway kit has the factory-fit combo valve and the mounting bracket. So that will fit just like the stock parts. You may need the bolts that hold the bracket to the frame, and I think those bolts are a little unusual.

Unfortunately it is a different shape than the distribution block. The rear exit is further back, and the front exits are further up and angled differently.

There's a fairly good chance that if you're careful and use bending pliers that you can massage the existing tubes to work with the combo valve. Worst case, you can get replacement stock fit tubes or bend up your own lines.
Old February 24th, 2017, 07:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Drum brakes don't have a "proportioning valve". That's a distribution block only. As noted, the bracket is completely different. I'll also suggest that if you ever intend to run headers, don't put the new combo valve in the stock location.
Old February 24th, 2017, 07:33 AM

So it seems like a tradeoff here; OEM-like vs convenience and more $$. I don't plan to run headers so I may take a crack at frame mounting the new prop valve and if that fails (e.g., I crack a line trying to bend it) I'll have to go with the new lines and the booster/MC mounted prop valve.

Now to find a bracket...
Old February 24th, 2017, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Drum brakes don't have a "proportioning valve". That's a distribution block only. As noted, the bracket is completely different. I'll also suggest that if you ever intend to run headers, don't put the new combo valve in the stock location.
Interestingly enough, the MC on my car is the one for disk brakes even though I have drum brakes. I think it's original so I guess they just went ahead and put it in all of the cars they were building at that time. I was hoping they put the prop value in too but no such luck...