Had some brake issues

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Had some brake issues

I decided to pay some attn to my brakes as they were acting up. I changed the booster because it seemed to be leaking and the pedal was somewhat hard but getting low to the floor. Since I had not been into the fronts since 2009 I figured it was time to check the brakes and pack bearings. It looked like one hose was starting to weep as well as one wheel cylinder, so off to NAPA. Installed the new hoses and wheel cylinders, adjusted the shoes, and with the help of my trusty assistant (the wifey) bled the fronts. With everything all back together, it still didn't feel quite right. So I jacked up the rear, pulled the tires and drums, low and behold...

Mind you I just changed the rear shoes and installed new wheel cylinders back in October. I have not had a bonded shoe delaminate in years. These were from NAPA. So back to the auto parts store for another set of rear brake shoes. This time I bought Raybestos, I was not going to chance it happening again with NAPA. Installed everything, adjusted, and WA LA, good brakes. If its not one thing its another.
Old February 6th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Eeek.

That's darned near new.

They should refund your money on that one, even if you choose not to warranty it and buy a different brand instead (which is what I would do, too, at this point).

Guess I'll be avoiding NAPA shoes from now on...

Glad it didn't wreck your drum.

- Eric
Old February 6th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Administrator

It was only a flesh wound on the drum, the shoes should conform. I know I'm hard of hearing, but I didn't hear a thing. My exhaust is not extremely loud either.
Old February 6th, 2017, 04:49 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It's all those E-brake U-turns...
Old February 6th, 2017, 07:05 PM
Hookers under Hood

I still have an extra set of shoes from Napa, they are bonded. I guess I will throwing them in the garbage. Dam I figured that may happen. Our local Napa only carries bonded shoes, so looks like I'll be shopping somewhere else for a spare set.
Thanks for posting this issue with the shoes and great pics!!

Eric
Old February 6th, 2017, 08:15 PM

Looks like one of those semi metalic brake linings, only different... totally metalic!
Old February 7th, 2017, 06:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

I had this happen with the bonded shoes on the front of my 68 Vista (my first car). Took the shoes back to the store, dumped them on the counter, and demanded my money back. I've used riveted exclusively since then.