Probably a stupid question

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2016, 01:50 PM
Smash

Probably a stupid question

But will ask anyway before I do damage. Patience wearing a little thin after the rebuilt rear drums. So all I wanted to do was bleed the front. Completely stripped the bleeder screw. I used the proper tools, heat, lubricant, last resort was the visegrips even had the drill bit wedged in as to not crush it. Well it's still in there. Next seized caliper slides, long story short and before I burn my garage to the ground and start collecting stamps or something. On to My stupid question Is the rotor and hub on piece on my 72 Cutlass cause it sure looks like it to me. All that said staying around $5 or $600 can someone suggest a good replacement. Almost don't want any part of this current bulky heavy primitive setup. The caliper alone must weigh 15 pounds. Thx
Old August 27th, 2016, 03:43 PM
72 Olds CS

Rotor and hub are one piece, I got a nice AC delco replacement from rock auto for mine.

I find the braking on my 72 w stock fr disks and rr drums w all new components to work very well w no issues.
Old August 27th, 2016, 06:44 PM
Smash

How does that bad boy come off ?
I'm not even sure there's anything wrong with them. Got the caliper off will replace the pads oh and then there's that stripped bleeder screw problem that's looking more and more like drill and tap action. They just seemed dated and bulky but if they stop that's good enough for now bigger fish to fry with this car.
Old August 27th, 2016, 08:23 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Don't waste your time on a stripped bleeder - calipers are cheap! Just buy a new one.

- Eric
Old August 27th, 2016, 09:32 PM

That's what I was thinking. Last time I did calipers they were under $20 each. I was gonna buy rebuild kits then discovered the whole rebuilt caliper was just a few dollars more.
Old August 27th, 2016, 10:37 PM
Senior Moment Member

Originally Posted by smash72
How does that bad boy come off ?
I'm not even sure there's anything wrong with them. Got the caliper off will replace the pads oh and then there's that stripped bleeder screw problem that's looking more and more like drill and tap action. They just seemed dated and bulky but if they stop that's good enough for now bigger fish to fry with this car.
X effing 3000. Make it easy on yourself. Geez.
Old August 28th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Smash

Can I get a lighter caliper and maybe a descent drilled rotor/hub to dress it up a little without breaking the bank. Don't mind replacing them but to put back the same thing cause it's cheaper is crazy to me. That said there has to be a nice upgrade out there for a couple hundred bucks. Be damned if I can find them. All the kits I've shopped are over a grand and come with master and booster which I've already replaced. Anyone know of a place, or specs that I should be looking at ? Can I go to a larger rotor ? 12 maybe 13" this stuff is obviously Chinese to me except for the install not a lot I won't take a crack at. Just want it done once and done right. I did replace shoes and springs in the rear also had drums turned but that is a bandaid until I convert to discs the front would be a little more permanent. My goal when done is a little above driver quality resto mod
Old August 28th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Smash

That last comment is meant for the entire car when I'm finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (2.06 MB, 12 views)