Going to Disc Brakes all around on my 442

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2016, 10:58 AM

Going to Disc Brakes all around on my 442

Hi Folks: I've been considering converting my 442's drums to disc all around. I don't want power disks as a booster won't clear my Rocket Racing valve covers. I am also having trouble running stock emergency brake cables with my 3-1/2" exhaust. are the emergency brakes on the rear still a mechanical cable operation???? I would like to retain my stock drums as the car is an original W-30, but I know I'm going to be busted sooner or later for having no 'E' brake????? Thanks, Wayne
Old April 18th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rocketman!442
Hi Folks: I've been considering converting my 442's drums to disc all around. I don't want power disks as a booster won't clear my Rocket Racing valve covers. I am also having trouble running stock emergency brake cables with my 3-1/2" exhaust. are the emergency brakes on the rear still a mechanical cable operation???? I would like to retain my stock drums as the car is an original W-30, but I know I'm going to be busted sooner or later for having no 'E' brake????? Thanks, Wayne
All stock-type rear disc brakes use cable-actuated e-brakes, either as part of the caliper or as a separate small drum brake system inside the rotor. You can use an equalizer like GM used on the 1980s cars with rear discs to get rid of the A-body cable that crosses over the exhaust. It would be a single cable up the passenger side frame rail instead.
Old April 19th, 2016, 12:40 PM

Always helpful

Thanks for the help, as usual I got a prompt reply!!! To be honest I would really like to keep the drums just for originality, and to be honest I have them set up quite well, although if I'm performing it is a lot like stopping a loaded freight-train??? Goes great, but don't stop worth a dam??? At the strip once I go a few rounds and the brakes start to fade I need to use the second return road?? Oh well, I'll try to behave and not be pulled over for an inspection of my 'safety' equipment. I was thinking of keeping a short strong elastic band to pop onto my line-loc on the shifter ball to make them think the emergencies are working??? Thanks for your input, Wayne