Disc Brake Caliper Brackets for Disc Conversion

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2016, 07:41 AM

Disc Brake Caliper Brackets for Disc Conversion

I am converting my front brakes from drum to disc. Can someone recommend a source for accurate caliper brackets? I know that The Right Stuff sells them, or perhaps makes them, and other sources appear to sell their brackets.

I assumed that all/most of the brackets are made in China, maybe at the same factory, so I bought brackets on ebay from the cheapest source. The right bracket cutout hits the caliper body when I try to slide it to the end of travel. I bolted the 2 calipers back to back for comparison and determined that one of the threaded caliper mounting holes on the right bracket is in the wrong location.

There is also a potential issue with both brackets. The 1/2" and 5/8" mounting holes are 1/32" over size - which I think means that the bracket will shift during braking. Maybe they are all made that way - has anyone else noticed this? By comparison, the mounting holes on my drum backing plates are a very snug fit. Otherwise, the brackets look well made and are of 1/4" thick steel.
Old January 31st, 2016, 11:21 AM

I'm big on used GM parts for stuff like this, then we can have a high confidence level that they will fit right. John
Old June 8th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Photoshop God

Originally Posted by 68442Convertible
I am converting my front brakes from drum to disc. Can someone recommend a source for accurate caliper brackets? I know that The Right Stuff sells them, or perhaps makes them, and other sources appear to sell their brackets.

I assumed that all/most of the brackets are made in China, maybe at the same factory, so I bought brackets on ebay from the cheapest source. The right bracket cutout hits the caliper body when I try to slide it to the end of travel. I bolted the 2 calipers back to back for comparison and determined that one of the threaded caliper mounting holes on the right bracket is in the wrong location.

There is also a potential issue with both brackets. The 1/2" and 5/8" mounting holes are 1/32" over size - which I think means that the bracket will shift during braking. Maybe they are all made that way - has anyone else noticed this? By comparison, the mounting holes on my drum backing plates are a very snug fit. Otherwise, the brackets look well made and are of 1/4" thick steel.
I know this is an old post, but.... I have a drawing I made from info online for brackets to mount vette/f-body calipers to the front. I have a set of brackets made from this drawing and the fit the caliper, but I have not yet put them on the car. Or use Kore3 brackets. There is more to it than simply bolting them on.