A worry free rear disc brake conversion?

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2013, 04:14 AM

A worry free rear disc brake conversion?

Good day to the forum. I have been kicking around the idea of putting rear disc brakes onto the '72 Vista Cruiser that has the corporate non-C-clip rear axle and the 9x2.5 (?) drums. Facilities are limited, so something that won't drive a soul nuts would be a nice wish. I just feel the car could have better brakes. Fade is not an issue, the front discs have Performance Friction pads. I have read on the forum about several fellow members having issues with 'The Right Stuff' kits, needing to do this and that for proper fitting. Are there any other kits in the opinions of others down this path for kits that are generally 'plug and play, set it and forget it' Also, how well do the emergency brakes work on these conversions? The present one on the wagon is like throwing out the proverbial anchor when used, probably due to the weight on the rear end. Also, from what I have seen, hopefully correctly, Vista Cruisers do not have a proportioning valve in the brake block, again I figure due to the rear end weight bais, so this may be one less headache to sort out. Thanking the forum in advance for any help/direction. Regards, Howie
Old August 3rd, 2013, 04:22 AM

Correction, the rear drums ARE 2x 2.75. To add, would one of the 11-inch drum conversion kits be a viable alternate move? I guess the math would have to be done to see if the narrower 2.5 shoes would keep the swept area the same as I already have on the 9x2.75's. Now if there is an 11x 2.75 or even 3 setup available......???!!! Thanks again in advance for any input. Howie.