questions about front drum brakes - cutlass/chevelle

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Photoshop God

questions about front drum brakes - cutlass/chevelle

I picked up a set of Chevelle drums, hubs and spindles from a 70 Chevelle for my car (71) and when I took the outer bearings out they were numbered LM11949 and when I search for that I find matches for Chevelles, but not Cutlass. I assume they are equivalent. Also, there was a disk on the spindle behind the hub that is made out of some fiber material, like cardboard. I don't see that on any cutlass or Chevelle brake how tos. What is it and where do I get them? I haven't taken the rear bearings out so I have no numbers on them yet. Who sells US made bearings?

Thanks again for the help.
Old July 25th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Can you take a picture of the disc? Timken bearings are usually good quality. "A" body stuff is interchangeable.
Old July 25th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

All 1964-1972 A-body cars use the same wheel bearings and grease seal for both drum and disk. The fiber disk you saw is probably part of the old, original grease seal.
Old July 25th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Photoshop God

I thought they were the same. The setup I bought was complete and assembled spindles to drums. The guy said he had repllaced or repacked the bearings and everything was read to go. After I pulled the hubs off This was up against the spindle, same thing on both. Sorry about the size.

Old July 25th, 2015, 07:15 PM
Administrator

The disc is probably remnants of an old seal, just toss it. I would pull the bearings out, clean and inspect them and the races, and repack them with fresh grease.
Old July 25th, 2015, 07:16 PM
Photoshop God

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The disc is probably remnants of an old seal, just toss it. I would pull the bearings out, clean and inspect them and the races, and repack them with fresh grease.
Thanks. I am planning on doing just that.
Old July 26th, 2015, 05:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by DewChugr
After I pulled the hubs off This was up against the spindle, same thing on both.

Ah, this is the seal that goes between the backing plate and the spindle. Frankly, I've never reused them, and I don't think you can get new ones. I've never really seen the need for it, and I think GM finally stopped using it on later cars. Don't worry about it.
Old July 26th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Photoshop God

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Ah, this is the seal that goes between the backing plate and the spindle. Frankly, I've never reused them, and I don't think you can get new ones. I've never really seen the need for it, and I think GM finally stopped using it on later cars. Don't worry about it.
Ahh, that makes sense.

Thanks
Old July 27th, 2015, 05:09 PM

Fiber disk

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

Joe is right about placement, but not availability. I bought replacement disks to match these from Inline Tube - PN INL10443. $8.00 gets you two.

I have a separate question regarding Hub part numbers and placement that I have not been able to find answers for in either my hardcopy nor WildAboutCars' online parts manuals. I will start a new thread.