Hard brakes

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:08 PM

Hard brakes

My 56 has power brakes, and the PO told me that the booster was just rebuilt. The brake pedal is so hard, that you need to literally stand on it with both feet. He told me this is normal for these cars. I don't think so. My 52 Chevy with non-power brakes were no where near as hard.

The brake booster is connected to a t valve, with one end going to what I think it the reserve canister over on the passenger side, and both are coming off of another t connetced to the rear of the carb, which goes back to the fuel pump.

In a related issue, I don't think my wiper motor is gettin enough vacuum from the fuel pump. So this has me thinking that my fuel pump is just not making enough vacuum.

So does it sound like my brakes are normal, or is my theory correct that the fuel pump is bad, and that the same low vacuum condition that is causing my wipers to not workpropely, is also causing my hard brake pedal?

I've heard that these Olds motors just didn't make much vacuum, and thats why the fuel pump is so important for vacuum.

Thanks!
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:22 PM

I am no expert more of a hobbiest and not familiar with your 56 system. But generally I would look to see if your vacuum system has a faulty check valve somewhere. I believe the canister is used to "store vacuum" when you have a low vacuum condition. That way your components have vacuum when you need it. The check valve should keep the vacuum from leaking back. Also, look to see if you have leaks in the canister or any lines that would prevent the vacuum from storing in the canister. Does the wiper system also flow through the canister? If so, that might help pinpoint the problem since you seem to have low vacuum there also.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by 64starfireme
I am no expert more of a hobbiest and not familiar with your 56 system. But generally I would look to see if your vacuum system has a faulty check valve somewhere. I believe the canister is used to "store vacuum" when you have a low vacuum condition. That way your components have vacuum when you need it. The check valve should keep the vacuum from leaking back. Also, look to see if you have leaks in the canister or any lines that would prevent the vacuum from storing in the canister. Does the wiper system also flow through the canister? If so, that might help pinpoint the problem since you seem to have low vacuum there also.
Yeah, my vacuum canister had a big hole rotted right through it! I just bypassed it. I don't think I need it. I think it's just there so if your car stalls out you still have some power assist to help stop it.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:40 AM

Exclamation 56 brakes

You will need that under acceleration If you cant find one create one ??
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by ozoneblue
You will need that under acceleration If you cant find one create one ??
Not sure what you mean? It accelerates fine.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:56 PM

When you accelerate you have low vacuum, when you cruse you have high vacuum, the the canister is used to store vacuum to operate the wipers and heater controls. Without the canister you will have no wipers when you acelerate. Also when you apply the brakes 3 to 4 times apon deceleration, the canister has extra vacuum for you.

Gene