70 442 Hard brakes

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2009, 02:41 PM
My Daily Driver

70 442 Hard brakes

Tried looking through previous threads and I think I have found the answer, but will ask again for clarification: When braking the pedal feel is hard. Enough to push me back in the seat during a panic stop. I am noticing rough idle and hear a ticking noise much like a vacuum leak. Futher investigation reveals some air (or vacuum) coming from the connection between the power booster and the M/C. Talking around with the guys and everybody has a different answer. One guy says replace M/C, another says build a gasket for the leak. Another says the power booster is shot. This is my daily driver and not too concerned about originality but the car shows well at gatherings. First: what's the problem and second: what's the cost difference between the original look and less expensive fuctional parts?
Lots to ask, but you folks have been very helpful in the past.
Mitch
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:59 PM

Since a bad brake booster causes a hard pedal, I would say that is bad. I am guessing the rubber inside the booster is cracked and leaking. I think a way to check if it is leaking is by hooking up a vacuum pump and see if the booster holds vacuum.
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Tangovino
Tried looking through previous threads and I think I have found the answer, but will ask again for clarification: When braking the pedal feel is hard. Enough to push me back in the seat during a panic stop. I am noticing rough idle and hear a ticking noise much like a vacuum leak. Futher investigation reveals some air (or vacuum) coming from the connection between the power booster and the M/C. Talking around with the guys and everybody has a different answer. One guy says replace M/C, another says build a gasket for the leak. Another says the power booster is shot. This is my daily driver and not too concerned about originality but the car shows well at gatherings. First: what's the problem and second: what's the cost difference between the original look and less expensive fuctional parts?
Lots to ask, but you folks have been very helpful in the past.
Mitch
If you hear a hissing sound, the booster is leaking someplace. You may want to try to isolate the leak, as it may be easy to fix. Check to see if the sound is really coming from the joint between the booster and the M/C or from the check valve/grommet area. If it really is from the M/C joint, you can unbolt the M/C and pull it forward without disconnecting the hard lines. Sometimes the M/C will leak out the back and the brake fluid can deteriorate the rubber cup on the booster. If that's not the problem, the booster likely needs to be rebuilt or replaced.
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:00 PM
My Daily Driver

You were both correct. I removed the M/C from the booster and it had leaked; eroding the inner parts of the booster. I'm off to find replacements. Thanks to all!