'50 and '53 front brake backing plates differences

Old December 11th, 2016, 07:46 PM

Location: Cairns, Australia and Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
'50 and '53 front brake backing plates differences

Hi Everyone.
I'm thinking about fitting knuckle/support assemblies from a '53 88 to my '50 88 as the stub axle is a bit thicker on the '53 and I want as much strength there as I can.
Looking at the parts books and allowing for the different sized inner bearing internal diameters everything is interchangeable except the backing plates. This seems odd, as all the brake components themselves are interchangeable (including the drums) as are the kingpins, the vertical support for the knuckle, and basically everything else.
Before I go out and put my money down on the knuckle assemblies does any body know - or even have a sensible speculation - as to why the backing plates might be different and whether or not it might be an easy modification to make them work together?
Cheers
Erik
Old December 13th, 2016, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Erik Andersen
Hi Everyone.
I'm thinking about fitting knuckle/support assemblies from a '53 88 to my '50 88 as the stub axle is a bit thicker on the '53 and I want as much strength there as I can.
Looking at the parts books and allowing for the different sized inner bearing internal diameters everything is interchangeable except the backing plates. This seems odd, as all the brake components themselves are interchangeable (including the drums) as are the kingpins, the vertical support for the knuckle, and basically everything else.
Before I go out and put my money down on the knuckle assemblies does any body know - or even have a sensible speculation - as to why the backing plates might be different and whether or not it might be an easy modification to make them work together?
Cheers
Erik
Since you separated the two questions, I thought that I should separate the responses. To get an accurate answer you'll probably either have to have testimony from someone familiar with both parts or have access to the engineering drawings which created them. After working on cars for over 50 years I can say that you should not "assume" too much. They may have been motivated by a desire to increase spindle diameter, but may have also changed backing plate attachment spacing in the process to solve a secondary "problem". ??????? It is hard to tell without verification. Unfortunately, I don't know enough to resolve it. But you can "assume" when they assign a different part number, something is different. What it is I don't know. Perhaps it could be only metal gauge.??????? or flange width??????? or ???????? Best wishes.