Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

68 442 rear fender support brace patch ???

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2014, 03:39 PM

68 442 rear fender support brace patch ???

HI.. saw this on ebay.. Does anyone else make this patch ? I havent seen it any place other then stumbled across it on ebay.. Price is a bit high !! lol.. but I would think a much needed patch when trying to repair rusty fenders..

What is everybody else doing. Just making up there own?/ thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Brace...04011899&rt=nc
Old November 3rd, 2014, 04:09 PM

Those were tooled up & made by some Olds guys to fill a gap in availability of the somewhat scarce 68-69 fenders. Tiny cottage enterprise selling a few pieces to a tiny niche market, they can only do it so cheap. Not preaching, just my observation/opinion.

If you can do it yourself or have otherwise good fenders, it has to be a viable option to a $400-600 part that always seems to require shipping from at least half the country away.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 05:49 PM

interesting. hard to tell, but it looks like it's missing the threaded nut where the inner fender would attach to the brace.

the lower fender patches (The Parts Place and others carry) contain too much metal in this area and in order for the inner fender to fit correctly, they need to be trimmed.
Old November 4th, 2014, 04:47 AM

The crappy fitting patches run about $89 a side so the inner fender brace set at $149 seems like a bargain. I took the brace out of a parts fender that was totally rotted at the bottom. Then I flipped it over and used the upper part of it where it widens back out again to fabricate a lower brace for the fender on the opposite side. If I had $149 to spend I would have probably bought the patches had they been available back then. What most hacks do is cut out the whole lower brace, rivet or glue on the lower panel back on, bondo the crap out of it, and re-install the fender with no lower brace.

This is a pic of it before I cleaned it up and reinstalled the inner brace:

Last edited by allyolds68; November 4th, 2014 at 04:50 AM.
Old November 4th, 2014, 07:33 AM

I was going to ask the same thing...

Just hoping to find one of the big name metal suppliers selling these so I can avoid the duties and shipping costs to Canada!
Old November 4th, 2014, 09:04 AM

The braces are 149 a side.. that doesn't include the fender patch from what I understand .. so 150 for the brace, plus 90 or so for the fender patch.. so like 240 to patch the bottom of an old fender.. Vs 500 to buy a repop from like Tamaraz and bolt it on with out hours of welding and labor. Does anybody know if the Tamaraz fenders listed on ebay come with this rear brace or does it have to be removed from the old fender and moved to the repop. ? I can see on the bottom they are definitely cutout and detailed for the mounting screws..
Also I have included pics of 2 different type fender patch panels I have seen .. one looks like it woudl need some work .. the other tamarz sells and look slike it has all the cutouts for the bolts and such.. anybody used these ? Thanks..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fender.jpg (24.2 KB, 20 views)
other.JPG (15.1 KB, 15 views)
tamaraz.jpg (18.7 KB, 23 views)
braces.jpg (13.5 KB, 31 views)
Old November 4th, 2014, 09:13 AM

Does someone have a good pic of what a original should look like ??? lol.. all I can ever seem to find are pic of repaired ones... As you can see, mine are toast.. so I dont even have old metal to go by. Thanks..
Attached Images
IMG_1355.jpg (43.5 KB, 27 views)
IMG_1359.jpg (35.2 KB, 29 views)
Old November 4th, 2014, 09:30 AM

me, 1980:
throws dented fender on the junk pile in the woods
what a useless pc of junk

2002, find same fender still there...
say, this heel part is not bad rusted, most of the brace is still there, I better take this indoors!
Old November 4th, 2014, 10:02 AM

LOL... Ya... when I think back to the stuff i took to the junkyard back in the day..LOL.. oh well. I think i learned my lesson though. My kid has a 92 3000GT .. I saw some used but mint shape fenders and doors.. guy wanted 20$ each.. SOLD.. lol.. there going into storage.. there small and light weight.. so.. why not..
Old November 4th, 2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by shepo1
Does someone have a good pic of what a original should look like ??? lol.. all I can ever seem to find are pic of repaired ones... As you can see, mine are toast.. so I dont even have old metal to go by. Thanks..

Here's some pics from a rust free set I sold:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nder-sale.html

Originally Posted by shepo1
The braces are 149 a side.. that doesn't include the fender patch from what I understand .. so 150 for the brace, plus 90 or so for the fender patch.. so like 240 to patch the bottom of an old fender.. Vs 500 to buy a repop from like Tamaraz and bolt it on with out hours of welding and labor. Does anybody know if the Tamaraz fenders listed on ebay come with this rear brace or does it have to be removed from the old fender and moved to the repop.

Yeah, you're right, that is insane. They probably started making these before the repro fenders came out.

Here are a few pics of the repro fenders. Yes they are complete including the brace:

http://realoldspower.prophpbb.com/topic3060.html

Last edited by allyolds68; November 4th, 2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old November 4th, 2014, 03:13 PM

Cool.. thanks. .they look nice.
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Here's some pics from a rust free set I sold:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nder-sale.html
Hey! Those fenders look AWFULLY familiar...

(They are currently decorating the top shelf of the pallet racks in my shop, awaiting my 69 H/O resto).