Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Door Glass to Quarter Glass Gap

Old May 29th, 2014, 06:52 PM
1967 442

Door Glass to Quarter Glass Gap

Alright, I am probably not using the right keywords in my searches. I am assembling the glass on my 67 442 hardtop. The gap between my door glass and quarter glass does not look quite right. Does anyone have any information as to what this gap should be? Anyone have a picture of theirs?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Do you have a 66 or 67 Fisher body manual? Info should be in there. Can you take a picture and post it so the meaning of your question is more clear?
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:52 PM
1967 442

Originally Posted by Allan R
Do you have a 66 or 67 Fisher body manual? Info should be in there. Can you take a picture and post it so the meaning of your question is more clear?
Yes, I have a Fisher manual. It shows all kinds of gaps between steel panels, but nothing that I can find for glass to glass. Picture of what I am talking about is attached. I am referring to the fit between the rear edge of the door glass to the seal edge of the quarter glass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (47.3 KB, 70 views)
Old May 30th, 2014, 03:57 AM

I can't give you a dimension but the gap should be parallel top to bottom. Even with the thin, rear edge of the seal.
Old May 30th, 2014, 08:01 PM
1967 442

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
I can't give you a dimension but the gap should be parallel top to bottom. Even with the thin, rear edge of the seal.
I am good on parallel top to bottom. Even with the thin, rear edge of the seal? Do you mean the glass edge is almost touching this edge of the seal, from top to bottom?
Old June 1st, 2014, 01:31 PM
1967 442

Ttt
Old June 1st, 2014, 02:41 PM

How much is the door glass compressing the seal, to me the picture looks like the top of the door glass is not as close to the seal as the bottom.
Old June 1st, 2014, 03:16 PM

from your picture if all the seals are not in final adjustment of the glass will change . for now just insure there is no damage opening and closing the door. The picture you show could be either not parallel or the door glass is leaning out to far or quarter glass in . without the seals to tell where you need to be its a no win.

if the seals are in i try for as much seal contact as possible and still have the door close easily with a parallel gap at the joint which is determined by the rear glass stop. you want to go through a car wash without getting wet
Old June 1st, 2014, 04:09 PM
1967 442

Originally Posted by oldsbucket
from your picture if all the seals are not in final adjustment of the glass will change . for now just insure there is no damage opening and closing the door. The picture you show could be either not parallel or the door glass is leaning out to far or quarter glass in . without the seals to tell where you need to be its a no win.

if the seals are in i try for as much seal contact as possible and still have the door close easily with a parallel gap at the joint which is determined by the rear glass stop. you want to go through a car wash without getting wet
All the new seals are in. That is another thing. The door seals are soft, but hard to compress. They are keeping the doors pushed out, so door rear edge does not fit flush to the qtr. This is preventing the proper compression of the qtr glass seal.

Another concern is the gap from door glass read edge to qtr glass chrome. How much of the qtr glass seal does the door glass overlap? I guess another way to ask is how close should the door glass rear edge be to the qtr glass chrome?
Old June 2nd, 2014, 02:29 AM

There is a slight space between the movable part of the seal and the part of the seal that is touching the chrome. So the glass should be at the edge of the movable part of the seal, then that little space, then the chrome...whew!
Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:21 PM

i have an unmolested 67 ht gaps are 1/8 btm to 3/16 top never really looked at that before I'm sure it could be made parallel if i wanted but its original as far as i know. the convertible has wider gaps but its now on a lift so i'm not sure on that one

the seals should not be able to hold the door out if the latch post is set right. new seals might make for a firmer close but should form to the frame given time it needs to be an interference fit to work, like a new pair of shoes the seals will form to the car. That is my guess not seeing your situation and if the door fit right before the seal install

looked again at the convert now on the ground, the gap is 1/8 all the way up. There is a small round rubber bead next to the chrome on the quarter window that the door glass meets while lapping on the rest of the rubber quarter window seal this makes a flush seal with no edge of the glass exposed. hope this helps looks like i'll need some attention to the coup if i start on it

Last edited by oldsbucket; June 4th, 2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old June 4th, 2014, 05:16 PM
1967 442

Thanks for everyone's input. I was able to adjust the qtr glass and the door glass such that there is a 1/8" gap or so for top to bottom. There is actually a thin pc of rubber/seal right next to the qtr chrome. It is almost as if this pc of rubber is right in the middle of the gap.