Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Glasstek oai hood

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2011, 05:10 PM

Glasstek oai hood

Well it's been on for about 2 1/2 years now. Originally it fit ok for a driver, but it's getting worse as far as the curve against the fenders and the front keeps dropping. (curling?) Maybe heat?
Ok, so is there a fix for this situation (I can do glass work) ? Or should I just sell it to someone who would be happy with it, and buy a better one? Or maybe I'll just put the original louvered hood back on. But my louvers are in bad shape, and can't find any. Also, I really wanted to put the oai engine setup on her. Oh well, just looking for opinions. Money isn't on my trees lately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0917.jpg (27.8 KB, 97 views)
100_0918.jpg (68.4 KB, 89 views)
100_0922.jpg (40.2 KB, 84 views)
100_0919.jpg (68.3 KB, 88 views)
100_0916.jpg (29.5 KB, 86 views)
Old September 7th, 2011, 05:50 PM
72 442 Conv Viking Blue

Buy a Thortons and sell yours. And you will be happy forever.
Old September 7th, 2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by 72w442
Buy a Thortons and sell yours. And you will be happy forever.
Agreed!, However based on the budget concerns and the expense of the the hood/air cleaner, I think I'd sit on it until the time is right. Based on your comment, the cost of the desired items could not be a reality right now. The hoods are not likely to get more expensive than they are right now. Furthermore, your Glasstek hood is not repulsive, and if it were you could always revert back to the louvered version. I'm sure that no person of sound mind would point at your louvered hood and exclaim "What was that guy think'n!!!" Enjoy the car, invest money into it when your funding permits it and does not make Ramen noodles and bologne sandwiches manditory.
Old September 8th, 2011, 03:43 AM

Actually, driving around town I have not had any comments about it at all. Other than "nice car" etc. I had it at a local show earlier this summer and the same. Of course the hood was open. I guess it just drives ME nuts as all the rest of the panels line up great.
Right now I am putting together a list of things to do, or would like to do, to her over the winter. (some new trim pieces here and there, better engine detail etc. And the oai setup.) However, a new hood would not fit into this budget very well. As others have probably been through after the car has been together for a couple of years or so, things are becoming not good enough. I guess that never ends though.
Old September 8th, 2011, 04:07 AM

As much as I wish it wasn't true, the General's (GM) hood (IMO) never fit perfectly either. The Thornton piece is SUPERIOR to the original, and for a show or point-chasing car it is worth the investment. I am presently finishing up a frame-off on a '72 and I really plan to DRIVE this car and beat on it a little; my garage seems to be stuffed with four-wheel ornaments. I went with an aftermarket hood (Fiberglass Concepts @ $750.00) and I think it fits about as good most originals I have seen and not a whole lot different than yours! If I were in your shoes, I'd probably leave well enough alone and keep havin' some fun. From the couple of pics here, it certainly looks acceptable. The areas you are concerned with seem to be common "problems" with MOST fiberglass hoods regardless of make or model.
Old September 8th, 2011, 06:37 AM

The original GM hoods had to be tweaked & modified,to get them to fit.I think the front edge sagging is just a natural happening with age & gravity.You see a lot of originals doing that.There is no garranty that you won't have that problem with another brand of hood,either immediately,or in the future.The hood you have is a good hood,and I would leave it alone for now.
Old September 8th, 2011, 05:15 PM

Thanks all. It all follows in the same catigory as the paint is not the same as it seemed 2.5 yrs ago. I have some shrinkage in one of the substrates, either primer or the slicksand that I got in a hurry and didn't block enough. It's so shiney even gold, that it shows everything under the right light. Outdoors it's not bad. (10') Maybe I am just to picky (my own) for a driver. That is all it was meant to be originally.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 08:19 AM

Hey,

I see you have the glasstek hood, how
Does it attach in the front? Does it clip on to my original hood release and bolts in the rear? I'm just looking at my different hood options and glasstek seems pretty cost effective.

Thanks!
Old October 2nd, 2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Hey,

I see you have the glasstek hood, how
Does it attach in the front? Does it clip on to my original hood release and bolts in the rear? I'm just looking at my different hood options and glasstek seems pretty cost effective.

Thanks!
No. It mounts in the rear with the original hinges and with light weight springs and hood locks only. I have read other posts in the past that they have added the hood catch with some work.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 06:30 PM

Cool thanks, where did you get your hood and how much did it cost?

Recently I had my louvres fly off my already crappy hood, I've had a few leads on a steel hood thanks to this forum, but it seems I can get a fiberglass model for just a bit more money...

Thanks,

Tony
Old October 3rd, 2011, 05:29 PM

Tamraz. I don't off hand remember the price though.
Old October 14th, 2011, 07:06 PM

I've been looking at the hoods on Tamraz too. I was just wondering how they were, quality wise? I've read a lot on the Thornton hoods and they supposedly exceed the factory GM hoods. But they are almost $3000 compared to $500+ for the Tamraz glasstek hood.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:43 PM

Got mine from glasstek and it fits pretty well? Its a driver but gonna be a nice driver you can see some pics in my build thread.
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
As much as I wish it wasn't true, the General's (GM) hood (IMO) never fit perfectly either. The Thornton piece is SUPERIOR to the original, and for a show or point-chasing car it is worth the investment. I am presently finishing up a frame-off on a '72 and I really plan to DRIVE this car and beat on it a little; my garage seems to be stuffed with four-wheel ornaments. I went with an aftermarket hood (Fiberglass Concepts @ $750.00) and I think it fits about as good most originals I have seen and not a whole lot different than yours! If I were in your shoes, I'd probably leave well enough alone and keep havin' some fun. From the couple of pics here, it certainly looks acceptable. The areas you are concerned with seem to be common "problems" with MOST fiberglass hoods regardless of make or model.
I agree
Old November 27th, 2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by beebee78
Got mine from glasstek and it fits pretty well? Its a driver but gonna be a nice driver you can see some pics in my build thread.

The ones Tamraz sell are made by glasstek.

I found a muscle car site for Canadian muscle cars called Early Birds and they sell a fibreglass hood. Although.....it doesn't say who is the maker of the hood.
Old November 27th, 2011, 10:20 AM

I just got a glasstek hood it cost 500$ 200$ for shipping . I just put it on they said that you have to shim the finders. I am having a hard time trying to figer that out how. The crome you have to drill holes . The drivers side looks like it needs to be picked up in the front .I HAVE A 1969 OLDSMOBLE CUTLASS S and i will not be making it a 442 clone it will be a cutlass s with a nice hood and fin on the trunk. No mater what i do it will all was be a cutlass s on the title. But it is looking good . I put all my money that i can into this car to make it be a part of me and my famiy and mybe my kids will to . LOL ! THEY WILL PROBLY SELL IT FOR A HONDA
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:41 PM

True, none of them really fit "perfect" even if you go look at all the professional restorations and professional pics they take of them, there are always tiny little imperfections in height and fit. It happens, its hard to notice unless youre up close scrutinizing it though, but personally i prefer that "nice car with character" feel over "show car that never sees the light of day" haha, personal preference