Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

broken convert top hose

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2011, 03:21 PM

Location: from Wisc, then Texas, then Kansas, now back to Texas,
broken convert top hose

While Installing the dynamat I Broke a hydraulic line for the convertable top, which was 1/2 way up, the downward pressure squirted ATF oil all over the dynamat interior AND the new paint job ! Now...., the lines have inverted flares at each cylinder, no problem there. First problem : the pump and reservior also have inverted flares in to the reservior. This means I need a 'TEE' with inverted male threads to go into the reservior. I don;t think they make such a critter ! Second problem : the hose itself, original (broken ) hose is clear plastic...Replcement clear plastic line from hardware store, says max working pressure is 150 pounds , shop manual says pump testing should go up to 350 pounds. So question is,, what kind of replacement line to use ? I can go thto the local machine shop and he will make some rubber hydraulic lines with the inverted flares ends, but he don't have the inverted "TEE" either.......thanks,,,,,,can't use the original hose ends or fittings cause they are 1 peice pressed togehter thingys
Old March 15th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Administrator

If you don't need the 100% stock set up, ask the hyd shop what kind of union or adapter they may have in stock. A good hyd shop would have the plastic line. Do not use 150# line, it will burst.
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:33 PM

Why not buy a replacement line set, all the parts houses have them. National Parts Depot usually has good prices Chevelle parts would be the same on this.
Old March 15th, 2011, 05:45 PM

actually, I just now did just that. OPGI has one for $130, Year One is higher yet, Parts Place has it for $99. I guess I just assumed it would be cheaper to make it myself, but it dosen't sound like going thru the hydraulic shop will very cheap after all......thanks guys, keeping me pointed the right direction !
Old March 16th, 2011, 05:16 AM

Sorry to hear about the mess - hopefully it was not too bad.
Yep - just buy a set of new lines. If that one broke that easily, it could have been old and deteriorated anyway. In other words, they needed replacement anyway and best time to do it is now while the interior is out.
Old March 16th, 2011, 09:05 AM

this is what happened

Can you imagime the mess , if the interior was in ? ATF in the carpet and seats ! It actually broke just above the Left rear wheel well, got cracked while I was putting the dynamat over the the wheel well. I was letting the top come down, kinda using gravity to let it down all the way.... so I could put the little foam pad under the roof bow that rests on the fender well. Then all of a sudden it sprung the leak ...oil spraying up all over, I located the the leak, then put my arm under the frame work to keep it from comming down any further, resting my elbow on the fender and holding the roof bows up with my hand . The oil stopped comming out, but, I couldn't reach anything to put under the roof bows, so to get my arm out ! What a wierd feeling ! Just standing there.....what to do ? I'm thinking....can't call the house (wife) no one home ...... can't reach nothing.... finally I saw the 4x4 block of wood that was behind the rear tire and I could reach it with my foot, put the block of wood under the roof bows.... ..........then started cleaning up the mess