Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Removing trim to save money

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2011, 05:04 PM

Removing trim to save money

I would like to remove all the external trim on my 69 Toronado so that I can strip the car before getting painted to save money. My body shop encourages it if you are on a budget, but don't want to skimp on the final product. I know how to strip it, but I have never removed the window trim, rocker panel chrome, roof trim and emblems. I really don;t want to mess any of it up since it is great shape and I don't want to bust any clips. Any detailed help would be welcome. I ordered a trim removal tool kit and was able to get the windshield trim off with a thin tool that slid under the chrome and grabbed the clip so you could pull it forward and release the chrome piece. THe rest I don't know about.

Mitch
Old January 27th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Registered

The Fisher Body manual shows what clips types or method used for trim attachment for all the body styles from the cowl back since that's all they did. From the cowl forward the assembly manual shows the trim attachment.
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:12 AM

Believe me I wouldn't have bothered posting the questions if I had access to a Fisher Body manual for a 1969 Toro. Perhaps I should have asked where can one find a fisher body manual either vintage or reproduction?

Mitch
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Oldsdruid

All the exterior trim with exception of the quarter window belt moulding is easily removed. You'll need small hands or a creative socket and extensions rig to get the front fender scripts. When reinstalling those, use barrel clips instead of the factory tinnerman nuts

Standard hand tools do the job. Most of the nuts are 5/16 or 3/8. Some are tinnerman style, others acorn style. You may have to remove plastic plugs to access the trunk script fasteners.

Rocker mouldings- remove the hex-head screws under the bottom edge of teh rocker panel. Then you lift UP on the moulding to disengage it from the retaining clips. Same thing with the door section of it- remove the end screws and lift the moulding UP off the clips.

Wheel arch mouldings might be hateful. Sometimes those screws get corroded and frozen to where you have the grind the head off. An impact driver helps on these.

PM me with any you can't figure out. I've done them on my 69 enough that I think I could do them in my sleep. Just remember to bag and label all the attaching hardware as you remove it, and if you destroy any of it most of it is still available thru AuVeCo or a good body shop supply.
Old January 28th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Administrator

The hardest part about removing trim before paint is... Reinstalling without scatching the car after paint. The windsheild and rear window trim is a bit tricky,be careful not to chip the glass. The clips are all easy to locate. Good Luck