Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

car lift

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2009, 10:04 PM

car lift

Is there a safe way of raising my car lets say 2 feet off the ground all the way around to be able to saftely creep under it to do a little sanding and then undercoat...Would jacking each tire up and putting rims under the wheels work saftely.....I wish i had a lift..Also are those car ramps they sell at autozone support a 1973 olds 98...Could i lift the car up with a floor jack and place 4 heavy duty jack standsunder the 4 corners of the car and do it that way..I reayy only need enough for me and my belly to get under it and maybe just a bit more...Would it be safe for the whole car to be up on jack stands..

Last edited by 1973olds98; August 29th, 2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old August 30th, 2009, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by 1973olds98
Is there a safe way of raising my car lets say 2 feet off the ground all the way around to be able to saftely creep under it to do a little sanding and then undercoat...Would jacking each tire up and putting rims under the wheels work saftely.....I wish i had a lift..Also are those car ramps they sell at autozone support a 1973 olds 98...Could i lift the car up with a floor jack and place 4 heavy duty jack standsunder the 4 corners of the car and do it that way..I reayy only need enough for me and my belly to get under it and maybe just a bit more...Would it be safe for the whole car to be up on jack stands..
Yes I have done it many times. Just make sure the stands are level and approved to hold the weight of your car and you should be good to go. Just when you get all 4 jack stands under the car, make sure nothing valuable is under the car first, give it a little shake. If it doesn't wobble or fall off the jack stands its ok to go under. I do this just because I rather have metal all smashed up on one of my cars then me be smashed under it because the car wasn't stable.

Last edited by Wasted; August 30th, 2009 at 04:05 AM.
Old August 30th, 2009, 04:41 AM

i have cut logs for jack stands. i wanted to get a car 2 feet higher in the air. i put two jack stands under the back axle and then jacked the front high enough to put the 2 foot blocks of wood under the front tires then went back to the back and finished raising it till i could get the blocks of wood under the back tires. the log i cut them from were about 1 1/2 foot wide and cut them 2 foot long. this will be higher than you need but makes it much nicer to do the work. also with the blocks under the tires they won't be in the way under the frame. just be safe at all times and really check that the car is solid before going under.
Old August 30th, 2009, 05:39 AM

like cribbing for lifting a house.
Old August 30th, 2009, 05:40 AM

If your going to use the jack stands on an asphalt driveway I would put some 3/4" plywood under each stand to prevent the jackstand from sinking into the asphalt if it get hot out. Jkaz
Old August 30th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1973olds98
.Would it be safe for the whole car to be up on jack stands..
Sure - do it all the time. Having said that, the higher you can get it, the better. I have built a set of stands using 4x4s bolted together like the cribbing mentioned above to raise our 28 ft horse trailer for working on it. These are very stable. (No, pun decidedly NOT intended... )
Old August 30th, 2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Sure - do it all the time. Having said that, the higher you can get it, the better. I have built a set of stands using 4x4s bolted together like the cribbing mentioned above to raise our 28 ft horse trailer for working on it. These are very stable. (No, pun decidedly NOT intended... )
Do you mind posting a picture of your stands?
Old August 30th, 2009, 07:45 PM

Iam headed to harbor frieght tommorrow to buy 2 6 ton jack stands and a pair of ramps,,,,I am going to ride the front on on the ramps and then i will jack up the rear end and place the jack stands under the axle...This should work well....Or should i just get 4,,, 6 ton jack stands,,,They say they can lift the car a total of 2 foot ....i will decide tommorrow when I am there..
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:13 AM

OK I got my 6 ton jack stands and borrowed my buddies steel car ramps..I drove the front up on the ramps and jacked the rear end up and put the jack stands under the axle....Everythings seems real sturdy..I shook the car a bit and it seemed real solid..Getting under the car i have alot of work peeling the old undercoating off..Not to bad though,,Most of it is falling right off...I was real glad to see no rust issues but some surface rust...After I get it all peeled off and take a wire wheel to everything,,,,A heavy coat of eastwood rustconverter and then a heavy coat of undercoating and she will look good as new..Will post pics of the progress...
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:12 AM

I used, custom cut to length, railroad ties at the factory frame lift points, couldn't shake the car off of them. Cutting the ties to length will use up a chane saw blade although but this is, to me, a lot safer than jackstands.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:32 AM

so u jacked the car up slid the railroad ties in front and back under the lift points and laid the car on the ties..I never thought of that...It would of been cheaper then those 6 ton stands i bought although there nice to have..
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:45 AM

look the sixth post here:
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/fa...car-ramps.html