Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Look in the mirror...

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2019, 06:09 AM

Look in the mirror...

Hey all I just finished installing a passenger side door mirror on my 72 Supreme and here's a couple pics. Pretty simple job, just had to make sure the placement was correct. I used the driver side as a guide, and I think it looks pretty good.

The only thing I don't understand is it doesn't show the view I had anticipated. I was expecting to see what I would see in a newer car, but instead it shows what you would see about two lanes over if you were on the highway, and I can't get any more adjustment to bring it closer to the car. Is this how it was back then?
Old February 26th, 2019, 06:30 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Unfortunately yes. The newer cars went to the convex mirror I think starting in 1976? or so. While the wide angle gives a close proximity view of the surroundings, it's very limited in it's depth of field for judging distance. I don't know if you can get a replacement glass lens with the wide angle to install in that mirror pod. All that said, no mirror gives you 100% view of what you need to see. I'd live with it and learn to use it as best as possible and remember to do blind spot checks no matter what. One thing about the 72 A body hardtops is they have an excellent view of the side for blind spot checks. Almost all the cars produced back then never had a right side mirror, so this is definitely a nice add on. Most people at car shows who don't know the history of cars will see cars with dual sport mirrors or chrome mirrors and think that is completely normal for regular production, which is far from the truth.
Old February 26th, 2019, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Unfortunately yes. The newer cars went to the convex mirror I think starting in 1976? or so. While the wide angle gives a close proximity view of the surroundings, it's very limited in it's depth of field for judging distance. I don't know if you can get a replacement glass lens with the wide angle to install in that mirror pod. All that said, no mirror gives you 100% view of what you need to see. I'd live with it and learn to use it as best as possible and remember to do blind spot checks no matter what. One thing about the 72 A body hardtops is they have an excellent view of the side for blind spot checks. Almost all the cars produced back then never had a right side mirror, so this is definitely a nice add on. Most people at car shows who don't know the history of cars will see cars with dual sport mirrors or chrome mirrors and think that is completely normal for regular production, which is far from the truth.
Thanks Allan...I feel better now😀
Old February 26th, 2019, 07:18 AM
delete

I noticed the same thing but something is better than nothing. I've added it on my last two cars. Once you are used to it, its hard to make due without it.
Old February 26th, 2019, 08:50 AM
Randy C.

Same here. I added the passenger side mirror to my '69 4-4-2 convertible. It's nice to be able to see something on that side but the view from both sides just isn't what it is with the newer cars. Something is better than nothing, though!

Randy C.
Old February 26th, 2019, 10:23 AM

I added a right side mirror to my ride but I had it adjusted so that I could see the best it would offer. I didn't put it where the left hand side measured to but a little farther back so the wind wing wouldn't be in the picture. I then added a 4 inch round concave mirror which covered the whole mirror. I thought I might lose points but in some 20 years no judge has mentioned it's location and I've never lost a point even in some pretty serious judged events. I would do it again if I was to add another mirror to another ride it's nice to see what behind you sometimes.... Tedd
Old February 27th, 2019, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I added a right side mirror to my ride but I had it adjusted so that I could see the best it would offer. I didn't put it where the left hand side measured to but a little farther back so the wind wing wouldn't be in the picture. I then added a 4 inch round concave mirror which covered the whole mirror. I thought I might lose points but in some 20 years no judge has mentioned it's location and I've never lost a point even in some pretty serious judged events. I would do it again if I was to add another mirror to another ride it's nice to see what behind you sometimes.... Tedd
Hey Tedd can you post a pic and also, where did you get get the concave mirror?
Old February 27th, 2019, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Concave?

Old February 27th, 2019, 01:16 PM

Errr.... oops Ya convex as you said and a 4 inch mirror can be found at most parts houses or truck stops... Just glues on..... Tedd
Old February 27th, 2019, 01:26 PM

Is it a blind spot mirror and does it cover the existing mirror completely?