Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

71-72 Front Clip on a 70 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2019, 06:44 AM

71-72 Front Clip on a 70 Cutlass

All,

new user here, I have been looking to buy a 71-72 cutlass S holiday coupe for about 3 years. I have probably seen a handful in the past few years but they all seem to major repairs (frame, body, etc). I like the revised front nose of the 71-72 vs. the 70, so I have never considered getting a 70 cutlass. However, my research indicates that the bodylines are mostly identical, just the front fenders,hood and headlights are a bit different. I have come across a 70 cutlass that is pretty clean and decently priced. my question is what parts would I need to do the front end swap? I am looking for a complete list. Ie. new headlights? wiring harness? rad support??

I know front end swaps are common on the 70-72 chevelles but I have not been able to come up with anything on the olds. I would appreciate any help!.

Last edited by sjay1989; August 14th, 2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old February 11th, 2019, 08:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

It's a LOT of work and $$ to change over the front clip. Why wouldn't you just buy the 70 and keep it as stock? Just off the top of my head I'd say you're looking for
  • hood and hinges
  • fenders
  • rad support
  • bumper/signal lens assemblies/lenses
  • bumper support brackets
  • headlight buckets
  • grilles and rear mounting tabs.
  • stone shield
  • fillers for the headlight buckets
  • fender support brackets
  • hood release assembly
  • numerous assorted bolts/nuts/fasteners.
There are sellers closer to your area (but in the US) who sell all these things. The shipping would be horrendous unless you have a float to bring everything back across the border. And then you'll likely pay duty and tariffs. Check with Nick (442crzy) on this site. He might have something complete he can hook you up with. And after all that is said and done, you're still looking at any bodywork and paint that needs to be done. IMO, leave the 1970 Cutlass S as is and simply look for a 71/72.

There are a lot more differences between model years that look similar than just the basic cosmetics.
Old February 11th, 2019, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
It's a LOT of work and $$ to change over the front clip. Why wouldn't you just buy the 70 and keep it as stock? Just off the top of my head I'd say you're looking for
  • hood and hinges
  • fenders
  • rad support
  • bumper/signal lens assemblies/lenses
  • bumper support brackets
  • headlight buckets
  • grilles and rear mounting tabs.
  • stone shield
  • fillers for the headlight buckets
  • fender support brackets
  • hood release assembly
  • numerous assorted bolts/nuts/fasteners.
There are sellers closer to your area (but in the US) who sell all these things. The shipping would be horrendous unless you have a float to bring everything back across the border. And then you'll likely pay duty and tariffs. Check with Nick (442crzy) on this site. He might have something complete he can hook you up with. And after all that is said and done, you're still looking at any bodywork and paint that needs to be done. IMO, leave the 1970 Cutlass S as is and simply look for a 71/72.

There are a lot more differences between model years that look similar than just the basic cosmetics.

Thanks for the Reply! I guess it is simply a personal preference i am partial to the 71-72 front styling. As I said, I would rather get a 71-72 but I havent been able to find anything that wasnt in need of major repairs/ or was repaired poorly. Sellers are looking for 30k+ for any car that isnt a total rust bucket/project even if its a base model with a 350... With how the dollar is right now, it doesnt make alot of sense to shop for one down south either at the moment.
Old February 11th, 2019, 10:26 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Check out OldsmobileCentral.com
I saw a listing there for a 1972 442 (actually a rare car since it has the U code motor, and has VIN ending 100012 which makes it the 12th car produced that year) for $6900. It's a project car but definitely something that would be worth fixing up. Seller might even be flexible on pricing? There are other cars that sell for much less than $30K. My 72 Cutlass for example is appraised at $C 24,900 but would be easily able to get $C 20K on a quick sale if I wanted to sell (which I don't) The Cutlass lineup is actually very undervalued in the market, and those that want top dollar have been watching too much Barrett Jackson.

1972 442 with U code option
Old February 11th, 2019, 10:34 AM

That conversion will be a huge PITA and when you go to sell it (and you eventually will), it will get bashed as a hodge-podge and scare off potential buyers and you'll lose a lot of $$. There have to be quite a few '71-'72s in Ontario - Olds had an assembly plant there and it's across a bridge from the Detroit metro. What ad sources are you looking at for potential cars?
Terry
Old February 11th, 2019, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by vette442
That conversion will be a huge PITA and when you go to sell it (and you eventually will), it will get bashed as a hodge-podge and scare off potential buyers and you'll lose a lot of $$. There have to be quite a few '71-'72s in Ontario - Olds had an assembly plant there and it's across a bridge from the Detroit metro. What ad sources are you looking at for potential cars?
Terry
I mainly check out kijiji here. Btw that car listed for 6900$ is more of a project than I would like to take on. I have a budget of approx 15-17k. Ideally I want a good condition cruiser and not a project. I completely agree with you guys, but I have been looking for a cutlass for a while now and cannot find anything that is in good shape at a good price.

here is the car I am currently looking at:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...ationFlag=true

Seller says its a great cruiser, it has floor shifter/console, black interior, power windows and the original motor. I may consider buying it and drive it as is..

Last edited by sjay1989; February 11th, 2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old February 11th, 2019, 10:58 AM
1971 442 conv

What are the extra costs involved in Taxes, Customs, etc if you buy one from the US. I can find clean 71/72 S for around 10K in my area all the times. If you add shipping, Custom charges, Taxes, VAT (have no idea what that means, but sounded good), and other fees, Will the end cost still be in your budget? Heck, I may even sell my original W29 survivor.

Originally Posted by sjay1989
I mainly check out kijiji here. Btw that car listed for 6900$ is more of a project than I would like to take on. I have a budget of approx 15-17k. Ideally I want a good condition cruiser and not a project. I completely agree with you guys, but I have been looking for a cutlass for a while now and cannot find anything that is in good shape at a good price.

here is the car I am currently looking at:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...ationFlag=true

Seller says its a great cruiser, it has floor shifter/console, black interior, power windows and the original motor. I may consider buying it and drive it as is..

Old February 11th, 2019, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Texas442
What are the extra costs involved in Taxes, Customs, etc if you buy one from the US. I can find clean 71/72 S for around 10K in my area all the times. If you add shipping, Custom charges, Taxes, VAT (have no idea what that means, but sounded good), and other fees, Will the end cost still be in your budget? Heck, I may even sell my original W29 survivor.
Basically its the cost of having it shipped or me trailering it home + 13% tax of purchase price (and few fees) and the US Dollar conversion rate, which as at today 1 Canadian dollar = 75 cents US. So basically a car for 10k US right now would cost $13k plus 13% tax and other costs ontop (gas, travel, trailer, etc). It almost becomes not worth it if your looking for a cruiser/toy.
Old February 11th, 2019, 07:16 PM

Watch craigslist Detroit metro, have seen a few in your range, also watch Facebook marketplace.
Old February 11th, 2019, 10:29 PM

Funny, I have a '70 which has a '72 front end on it...but it's on the West Coast and is a major project. The biggest difference between the 70 vs the 71/72 is the area between the headlights and the hood drop at the leading edge. If you change the hood/front end, you change all of that anyhow...so keep looking for that '71 or '72.

With a budget of $17,000, you should be able to find a decent car that's ready to drive somewhere in Canada. Check the Kijiji listings.
Old February 12th, 2019, 09:28 AM

I will continue to search for a 71/72.

The way I was justifying that 70 was as follows:

- it has a black interior (what im looking for)
- it has power windows (not common and a good add on)
- Bucket seats and console shifter
- it is already painted red (the color I am looking for)
- I wanted to install a ram air hood which would require paint anyways, so swapping the fenders/ other parts could be done at the same time.

what do you guys think? I see people undertaking major rust repairs, frame repairs, interior swaps,, etc. I think swapping the front end on a clean car is an easier project all things considered..
Old February 12th, 2019, 10:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Depending on what kind of OAI (not Ram air) hood you want, it can also be expensive. The best OAI hood on the market is from Thornton's. Parts Place and Fusick also sell the Thornton hood (when it's available). But you should be sitting down when you hear the price of just the hood alone - $US 2495.00. And then there's shipping, underhood parts, fitting and paints and that could easily tally up to $5000.00 just to add that hood. IMO not worth it. Another FYI, there are now more OAI hood cars in the market than were ever produced from the factory. A steel hood car is getting to be a minority item.
Old February 12th, 2019, 11:17 AM

I would be considering a used hood from the better manufacturers or aa all fiberglass to be honest. Its just a fun cruiser car for me at the end of the day. I would keep al original parts in any event.