Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

73 omega Rear quarter damage

Old December 23rd, 2018, 06:33 PM

73 omega Rear quarter damage

What should be my plan of attack here, the rest of the panel has only surface rust
-Hammer and dolly
-just cut out only bad area
- or replace whole quarter, all the way to roof
Old December 23rd, 2018, 07:14 PM

How accessible is that panel? Doesn’t look horrendous perhaps get a stud welder and pull on it with a slide hammer etc definitely should be able to hammer and dolly. It all depends on how comfortable you are with body work . Replacing the quarter also involves lots of work tell us a little more about what your comfortable doing .
Old December 24th, 2018, 04:14 AM

I think I can get to the back side ok.
I have done a little body work. I just didn’t want waist my time “trying” to straighten it out if a real body guy was to tell me Hell no. Cut it out
Old December 24th, 2018, 05:58 AM

The only real bad thing I see is the crimp just below the window. That might be harder to pull with a stud welder. I personally would not try to straighten the quarter just because of that. And unless you are real comfortable with replacing panels, I would have that part done by a professional.
Old December 24th, 2018, 06:15 AM

That said

Originally Posted by edzolz
The only real bad thing I see is the crimp just below the window. That might be harder to pull with a stud welder. I personally would not try to straighten the quarter just because of that. And unless you are real comfortable with replacing panels, I would have that part done by a professional.
I see they make full quarters for a 73 Nova? looks the same, a full quarter means that all the welds are hidden, and there wont be a big seam to fill, you will have to melt the lead out of the roof panel, then drill the spot welds,
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/o...SABEgKxrfD_BwE

this may be the best way to go,

Old December 25th, 2018, 10:35 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

If the metal is in good shape repair it. Old panels are much nicer to work with . I have done worse and it comes down to how your metal skills are. What tools you have and so on and so forth. Working old metal is much nicer than new cars because these new cars have engineered steel that does not like to go back into shape. The old mild steel panels you can shrink and stretch the metal till the cows come home. If the metal is good I would not repair. Cant stress that enough

Last edited by coppercutlass; December 25th, 2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old December 25th, 2018, 11:00 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I'm a body man by trade and love metal work. As long as i can keep my filler under 1\8 thick which is the safe margin i will repair but good metal has to he done . people see big areas of filler and think mud bucket but you can skom an entire panel. The thickness is what makes it bad.

Old December 25th, 2018, 07:57 PM

Im with Copper, i would just straighten that panel. Stud puller is a good idea and hamner and dolly. Shouldnt be too difficult.

Steve