Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

1970 Cutlass quarter panel/outer rocker question

Old December 9th, 2018, 03:40 PM

1970 Cutlass quarter panel/outer rocker question

RR quarter panel at wheel well.

RR quarter at rocker
Hello everyone.
I have a 1970 Cutlass convertible and need some ideas on how to approach the rear quarter panels. The previous owner just filled every rusted spot with bondo. Once I broke it away, I found a lot of treasures. My rear quarter panels are shot from basically the wheel wells down. I know they offer a quarter panel patch for around $200-$300 and an entire quarter panel replacement for around $450+. I cant really tell how the quarter panel attaches to the outer rocker. Considering it is completely rusted away, should I but the patch or complete quarter panel? I know the complete panel comes with door jams but mine are fine. I am just not sure which part would be my best bet. Also, does anyone know where it is best to make the cut on the quarter panel when I replace it? Should I cut a straight line from the door to bumper and replace form there down? Any advice would be great.
Thanks
Old December 9th, 2018, 04:48 PM

Im no body expert but from what Ive seen and what I see in your pictures at the least a skin. The quarter panel is spot welded to the top of the rocker panel. Im thinking you may need a new one of those also or at least a good patch replacement. You will also need the outer wheel house and judging by the amount of rot your trunk drop probably needs replacing too? This is a good amount of work and not for the faint of heart. This could get costly if done the right way.
Whats the trunk floor and inner wheel house like?
Full factory quarters are attached at factory seems which you could see if you had one. A replacement quarter or skin is usually seemed along a corner or seem that wouldn't be as noticeable or easier to hide the body work. Search this forum, there are numerous examples. Good luck
Old December 9th, 2018, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the reply. You are right, the trunk and wheel housings are shot also.I already have the inner and outer housings for both sides. I am just trying to line everything up so that I do the job right. Maybe I will go with the complete quarters. Thanks for the help.