Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Hood installation and windshield trim removal

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2018, 04:59 PM
Chris

Hood installation and windshield trim removal

Hi! What is the proper way to reinstall the hood on my 72 supreme? It doesn't have to be perfect now as I will be getting this painted within the next year but once I get it running I don't want to drive around without a hood. Also what's a safe way to remove the windshield trim? Thank you!
chris
Old November 2nd, 2018, 07:49 AM

It's a two person job. I stage the bolts, spacers and ratchets on each side before grabbing the hood. One dude on each side near the back, lift and balance on the hinges. Tilt it back and hold in place with a hand along the back edge. Put the rearward (towards the windshield) bolt in first!!! I made that mistake when I was 16, never again. The rearward bolts can hold the hood in place once they're in by several threads. Make sure they really engaged! Those tapered bolts can fool you. Make sure to put in the spacers before tightening down the rear bolts. Get all four bolts in snug, slowly lower the hood to check for alignment. Move it around until you're happy then tighten it down.

The lower windshield trim is just a few screws. The reveal moulding (sides and tops) is just like the rear window. Use a reveal molding removal tool like
Amazon Amazon
. Do the sides first, then the top. If you haven't used one, you just start at one end and slide the hook under the trim along the body. You want the hook to get behind the clip and pull the clip forward. You can then pull the trim away from that clip. Move to the next clip. Take it slow and you won't hurt anything.
Old November 2nd, 2018, 12:56 PM
Chris

Thanks oddball!
chris
Old November 3rd, 2018, 05:04 PM
Chris

Odd ball, my brother came up from Maryland and we installed the hood just like you said with no issues. At first they were a little stiff but I wd40'd them in all four moving pivots and I'll give them some turbine oil tomorrow. Hood goes up and down like a dream now. I do notice the fenders flexing slightly where the hinges attach, should I be concerned? I don't have the fenders attached to the top of the plastic inner wheel wells at the two attachment points. Could that have anything to do with it? Thanks!
chris

Last edited by Oldssupreme; November 3rd, 2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2018, 05:11 PM

Yeah, the fender is pretty weak on its own. The inner fender will help lock everything in place. It's a real "joy" getting everything to line up.
Old November 3rd, 2018, 05:21 PM
Chris

Ok thank you! I'll look into that trim removal tool you sent the link of and gift that a try.
Chris