Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

'69 Cutlass tail lights

Old October 24th, 2018, 05:24 PM

'69 Cutlass tail lights

Greetings. Purchased new (repros) tail light lenses for my '69 Cutlass & it appears that I need to remove my rear bumper to access housing that holds lenses.
Does anyone know if that is the case ?
Thanks !
Old October 24th, 2018, 05:35 PM

No need to remove the bumper. There should be screws holding the lenses into the bases. Look for a dark colored Philips head screw at each corner of the lens.

This is how you change the bulbs - remove screws, take lens out, remove old bulb, install new bulb, then re-install lens. If the bumper had to be removed to replace the bulbs, well that would be ridiculous.
Old October 24th, 2018, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
No need to remove the bumper. There should be screws holding the lenses into the bases. Look for a dark colored Philips head screw at each corner of the lens.

This is how you change the bulbs - remove screws, take lens out, remove old bulb, install new bulb, then re-install lens. If the bumper had to be removed to replace the bulbs, well that would be ridiculous.
Disagree on bulb change.

the light bulb is held in by a push in socket into the tailight housing from the trunk. no need to remove lense.

But to change lenses, yes you need to remove 3 speed nuts from inside the trunk.

Seals will be a PITA to remove the Housing. if I remember correctly , there are some other screws that might have to be removed once you take out the bezel and housing from the body..

Clean all the gooyee rubber stuff..

mm my bumper was off when I did it, but yeah it might need the clearance to remove.

You'll be fighting years of being on the car. Gooyee rubber stuff.. A little heat from a heat gun might help. Go slowly..

I also suggest you replace the housing to body seal, the lense gasket, maybe rechrome the bezel, new speed nuts, refurbush the housing( had mine replated with gold zinc) while your at it.

Fred
Old October 24th, 2018, 10:10 PM

So the '69 is not like the 70-72? I had considered not replying as I wasn't 100% sure but figured it was the same. I guess I was wrong. Bored at work, otherwise I wouldn't have posted.

Last edited by Fun71; October 24th, 2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old October 25th, 2018, 05:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fun71
So the '69 is not like the 70-72?
The 1970-72 taillights bolt to the bumper and are totally outside the trunk volume. The sockets are swaged into the housings, thus the lenses with screws.

The 1969 taillights are mounted through the body with gaskets. This allows the sockets to snap in from inside the trunk without worry about getting sand and salt thrown up from the rear tires. It also means that the lenses don't unscrew like they do on the later cars. It's a risk to ASSUME that different year cars are put together the same way.