Fender well repair. - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 7th, 2018, 01:34 PM   #1  

Fender well repair.

Looking for any advice or recommendations on repair material to fix a hole or two on original front inner fender wells for 1970. There are a lot of products by 3M and Fusor and I am sure others. There has been some repair documented on here but only info is 3M plastic bumper repair when there are numerous part #s. Looking to repair around where cage nut goes and fastens to fender and a couple other small holes. The material I would think would have to be a little flexible and not too rigid and be able to bond to the plastic and be sanded. Any info from your experience is appreciated.
scrappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 02:07 PM   #2  

Head over to B&T Auto Body Supply on rt.140 in Milford.

Bob knows his stuff and will hook you up.
My442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 07:24 PM   #3  

I go there all the time and today I went and Bob wasn't there and I have to wonder about his knowledge since he's a little long in the tooth. The other guy really didn't give me a good feeling he knew his stuff, he kept saying something about knowing what type of plastic it is and oils and stuff. I need someone in the trenches that knows exactly what to use. I will figure it out, just looking for prior experiences.
Thx P
Old September 8th, 2018, 03:54 AM   #4  

I believe that the fender wells are polypropylene.

That would be the place to start.
My442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2018, 07:30 AM   #5  
4R5

I want to repair my inner wells as well, they have some gouged out holes where the tinnerman nuts go. I came across this site: https://www.polyvance.com/vista.php I have the heat gun & nozzle accessories, but have not purchased the polypropylene from them, so I don't know how well it works, but will try it this winter.
4R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2018, 10:45 AM   #6  

Interesting, This is the kind of stuff I like to learn about. Thanks for your input. It looks a bit pricey for all the stuff is the poly just melted in? I have to read some more.
Old September 9th, 2018, 07:57 AM   #7  
4R5

As I understand it, you heat the fresh polypropylene "stick" until its soft enough to work it into the hole or crack. Then sand it down. I haven't tried it, but in working with other plastic items I've found that warming the mating area is helpful, but not too much as the original area may become deformed.
4R5 is offline   Reply With Quote