Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

New guy, some questions.

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2018, 09:58 AM

New guy, some questions.

I have a 72 Cutlass Supreme that was basically a gift. It is really really rusty. Very rusty. I am far from a car guy. I don't really know anything about cars. The frame, from what I can tell, seems solid, but the floors and trunk are gone. The fenders are also very rusty near the arches.The roof seems to be incredibly rusty as well, thought it has a vinyl top on as of now.

I am wanting to post pictures of it in the future. I want to know if the car is savable. I understand in this world that anything is savable if enough money is thrown at it, but I am not a rich man, nor am I car savvy. I would have to do most of the repairs myself.

I am looking to get as honest of opinions as I can get. If the car is fixable, I am going to go all in. But I need to know. I am not wanting to turn this car into a show car. I am not wanting to turn this into a nice cruiser. They only thing I want from it is to be solid and drivable.

What kind of pictures do I need to post? I understand under ideal circumstances that the body would need to be off the frame to get the real picture, but that is not possible for me at the moment.

What kind of pictures would be required to get the best outlook on the car?
Do I need to rip the vinyl off the roof to see whats under there? Will this possibly cause more issues?

I just want an honest opinion on how to proceed. Also, where should I post my next post with the pictures to get the best opinions?
Old May 28th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Administrator

I moved your thread to the body work section. Post clear pictures of the rot and rust, pictures of the underside and any area you have concern over.
Old May 28th, 2018, 10:25 AM

So someone gave you a car and you just want to make it into a driver for now. I would evaluate it mechanically along with the rust, before spending money and time. People here can give you info and help. Some can be saved, but it matters what your skills, abilities, and access to tools are.
Old May 28th, 2018, 10:25 AM

Thank you very much, oldcutlass. Will get pictures soon.
Old May 28th, 2018, 11:15 AM

Started to rain, will take pics later.

m371961, It is running at the moment. Brakes and such need work, but mostly everything works. Enough to be on the road I imagine.

The one thing I am worried about is the roof. I know nothing of cars, but I have been told if the roof is too bad, that its not worth the trouble. I see they make roof skins for 442s, Cutlass S , but not for Cutlass Supremes.