Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Vinyl top dye or paint to change original color

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2018, 02:46 PM

Vinyl top dye or paint to change original color

Hello, looking to change the color of my 1972 Cutlass S Brown vinyl top to Black.
The top is in GREAT shape but I don't like the brown color.
I would rather dye/paint the top instead of getting a new top if it will come out rite.
Has anybody done this? What did you use? How did it come out? Weather resistant?
Can it be done with the top still on the car or should it be removed?

On the other hand, I have some SMALL "rust bumps" starting to appear under the vinyl just above the trim where the body meets the vinyl over the rear tire on both sides, Looking to get the car painted soon so the top will be removed for paint but does it need to be replaced because of the rust bumps? Or will it lay back flat after the rust has been taken down for paint.
Old May 15th, 2018, 02:52 PM

The vinyl top will have to be replaced. No way to pull it up intact. Part of the vinyl backing probably would seperate, assuming the vinyl is still soft.
If the vinyl has hardened up.... no way.
If you are painting the car, spend the $ for the correct color.

I have dyed hard vinyl interior pieces, with lack luster success as there is no reproduction for most interior parts for post 72. Trying to dye soft vinyl, that will be exposed the elements... Wouldn't try it personally.
Old May 15th, 2018, 03:52 PM

SEM Vinyl Paint in Landau Black will color it, and it will probably look fair, it will need a couple of medium coats. Be sure to clean it VERY WELL with SEM cleaner, then mask over your trim. As mentioned, it really can't be removed without ruining it, and those rust spots will only get worse, but the SEM can work in the meantime and it will give you an idea of what your new top will look like.
Old May 16th, 2018, 07:31 AM

Randy has a good point. Spending money on some rattle cans now will let you know what it'll look like with a different color vinyl top. I've never used SEM Vinyl paint but I've heard good reviews. I have used Krylon plastic paint available at the hardware store succesfully before. It's a different animal though.
Old May 16th, 2018, 10:43 AM

About 3 years ago I had a repaint done. I received a call from my body man that a sales rep was at the shop and wanted a top to dye, I gave the OK. He dyed it on the car after it had already been repainted. The top looks like new...it has been up and down dozens of times and still looks brand new. I have no idea what he used....my body guy said it looked stupid easy to spray on...everyone thinks I got a new top. I paid him $100 for the materials.
Old May 16th, 2018, 12:58 PM

maybe 20 years ago dupont had a vinyl additive you just added to paint and shot it thru the gun,when done you could not tell what the original color was,and it looked originall.couldn't say if they still make it or not.