Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

72 cutlass convertible outer wheel well question

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2018, 05:57 PM

72 cutlass convertible outer wheel well question

So the quarters are new, installed and painted by previous owner but they left the rusted outer wheel wells. I bought Parts Place outer wells to put in but before I get to cutting the bad ones out, is it possible to just replace the outer wells with the quarters on?Anyone have any pointers. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old March 15th, 2018, 06:28 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Go back and smack the previous owner upside the head.

I am working on this right know with the quarters off. I guess it is possible but is going to be 10x harder. I am thinking you will be saying good bye to the paint as soon as you start welding.

Give him a kick in the tush also.
Old March 15th, 2018, 06:46 AM

Saw a thread about gluing the well to the quarters so I'll skip the welding near the paint. Just not sure if the new one will go in whole.
Old March 15th, 2018, 06:29 PM

The PO took a beating on it via divorce so I can't be pissed. Just hoping someone has done them without removing the quarters that can give tips on how to do it.
Old March 17th, 2018, 02:30 PM

Are they reproing Convertible outer wheelhouses Now?
Old March 17th, 2018, 02:37 PM

I bought mine from thePartsPlace.com.
They sell both sides.
"1970 - 1972) Cutlass/442 -- BP4815T--Body Panels-OUTER REAR WHEEL HOUSING-OUTER REAR WHEEL HOUSING (CONVERTIBLE) - RH
Quantity: 1
Price: US$105.00"
Old March 19th, 2018, 10:07 AM

Anyone?

Does anyone know if the outer well can definitely be replaced " whole" with the quarters on before I cut it out? Thanks
Old March 19th, 2018, 01:27 PM

I don't have any direct experience with changing one on the convertibles, but when I was working on my Cutlass S, I had the quarter off and I decided to just patch in the outer lip where the rust was rather than try to drill out all the spot welds to replace the entire thing. My convertible looks similar in design to what the coupe is, so I think the task would be similar. I glued the wheel openings in mine. I think you would have a tough time getting it inserted especially in the lower from part as it runs down to the rocker. The wheel opening has a rather deep spot where the lip rolls around that is pretty strong there and you would have little flex from the surrounding quarter to maneuver. There is a similar deep hook in the back.

Body work is not my day job, so take it for what it is worth.
Old March 19th, 2018, 01:41 PM

Thanks

Very good points. I appreciate the help.
Old March 20th, 2018, 12:53 PM

I think you could do this but you will need to splice the outer wheel house into the old one before the seam between the outer and the inner wheelhouse.

It is likely not possible to save the paint on the quarters depending on how well they are welded to the old outer wheel house. You might get lucky and be able to hide the paint repair under the wheel opening molding.

Technically, the outer wheel house is welded in on the other (in) side of some of the inner structure. I don't think many people ever put in the whole piece.

If you don't have any experience welding or doing this type of work this may not be the best project to learn on.

Good luck!

Pat
Old March 23rd, 2018, 09:59 AM

The plot thickens

rear seat floor pan has rust so I bought a new one as well as the inner wheel wells. Took the top out to make replacing it all easier. May get it as far as possible and have a friend weld it.
Old March 31st, 2018, 03:49 PM

well if your gonna replace the inners too.then your in luck.take out the inner then remove the outer,with the lip on the outer i doubt you will get it in without removing the inner first.beings the inner sets flush with the trunkfloor above the rear end its not bad to get into place.i just went thru this on my 66.i was just gonna do inners but found rust in the drivers side outer so took it out.put the outer in place then hold it in with a couple small sheet metal screws.then set the inner up in there and get it set where it needs to be then screw it in place.