Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

fender brace

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2018, 03:27 PM

fender brace

I have a 70 cutlass fender I am looking to save and the brace is rusted off. Does anybody reproduce or sell an inner brace or parts, to go along with some patch panels that are sold?

Thx
Old January 28th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Old(s) Fart

There are ebay vendors who occasionally advertise the lower part of the inner brace, but they are "hobby shop" vendors with hand-made parts. I share your frustration on the lack of availability of the brace. The thing that really gets me is that there are ALREADY stamping dies to make these items, since they come as part of the whole repro fender, but the repro houses refuse to sell the brace separately.
Old January 28th, 2018, 04:08 PM

There is a guy John in Connecticut that makes them for a 69. His number is 203-631-0184. I don’t know if he has them for a 70 but it’s worth a shot! Good luck!
Old January 28th, 2018, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
There are ebay vendors who occasionally advertise the lower part of the inner brace, but they are "hobby shop" vendors with hand-made parts. I share your frustration on the lack of availability of the brace. The thing that really gets me is that there are ALREADY stamping dies to make these items, since they come as part of the whole repro fender, but the repro houses refuse to sell the brace separately.
I guess they want you to buy the whole fender and ruin that to get a brace perhaps?
I guess if I look at it from a business standpoint, I would be trying to sell as many fenders as I could because when you think about it, the money invested to reproduce these fenders to a relatively small group needs to be recouped somehow or make sense in the first place. The problem is that businessmen and cars guys are two different people with different objectives.
Old January 28th, 2018, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Trophyblue442
There is a guy John in Connecticut that makes them for a 69. His number is 203-631-0184. I don’t know if he has them for a 70 but it’s worth a shot! Good luck!
Thx Greg, I'll try the #
Old January 28th, 2018, 05:01 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by scrappie
I guess they want you to buy the whole fender and ruin that to get a brace perhaps?
I guess if I look at it from a business standpoint, I would be trying to sell as many fenders as I could because when you think about it, the money invested to reproduce these fenders to a relatively small group needs to be recouped somehow or make sense in the first place. The problem is that businessmen and cars guys are two different people with different objectives.
I hear that, but typically the person looking for a brace only isn't going to buy a full repro fender anyway. These are additional sales that are lost, in my opinion.